Chapter 8

After arriving and signing a document, Natasha heard T'Challa behind her, "I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight."

She turned around and smiled as she replied, "Oh, well it's not always so flattering."

"You seem to be alight so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill I wouldn't think you'd be particularly comfortable in this company.

"Well, I'm not," she replied truthfully.

"And that alone makes me glad you are here, Ms. Romanoff."

"Why? You don't approve of all this," she asked, not giving away what she already knew.

"The accords, yes," he replied. "The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano," King T'Chaka said as he came up to the two of them. The father and son spoke in their native language, then the older man addressed her. "Ms. Romanoff."

"King T'Chaka," she greeted respectfully. "Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria."

"Thank you," he accepted. "Thank you for agreeing to all of this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers and Dr. Banner will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I," she answered regarding Steve, not wanting to defend Bruce's reason.

When she took her seat, Natasha began to look around for the best way to save the king of Wakanda. As the man gave his speech, she gave him her attention while plotting the best way to get him out of harms way. She was too far away, but she wasn't going to let that stop her from trying.

She noticed T'Challa look out the window before he ran to his father and yelled, "Everybody get down!"

Before Natasha could act, the blast knocked her to the floor. When she looked up the king was gone and his son was crying over his body. She felt grief for T'Challa and a pang of failure.

After the fire department arrived and Natasha tried to get as many people out of the building as she could, she heard people saying it was Bucky who bombed the building. The redhead walked over to a bench that was across where T'Challa was sitting.

"I'm very sorry," she said.

He looked heartbroken and shocked as he replied, "In my culture, death is not the end. It's more of a stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands, and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where you can run forever."

Natasha shallowed her own memories of Vormir and replied, "That sounds very peaceful."

"My father thought so," he said slipped the ring he was holding onto his finger. His face turned to one of revenge then said, "I am not my father."

"T'Challa, Task Force will decide who brings in Barnes."

He stood up then said, "Don't bother, Ms. Romanoff. I'll kill him myself."

She didn't bother trying to stop him because she understood his pain and she knew he would figure out the truth on his own.

Natasha's phone went off and she answered, knowing it was Bruce, "Hey."

"Nat, are you okay?"

The panic in her boyfriend's voice was oddly calming. For some reason, hearing him always calmed her down.

"Yeah, I'm fine. How bad is the coverage?"

"The news, the internet, you name it."

"I'm coming back to the hotel. If Steve calls you..."