25

𝐈𝐟 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬, Piper would've died.

Jason and Percy charged each other, but Tempest and Blackjack balked long enough for Piper to leap out of the way.

She rolled to the edge of the road. Meanwhile, Jason couldn't help the intensity with which he attacked Percy. He wanted to, he realized with a sick twist of his heart. He wanted to prove he was as great as they'd made him to be. He wanted to prove he was good enough for Piper. He wanted to prove himself as Hera's champion.

They crossed swords, gold against bronze. Sparks flew. Their blades blurred— strike and parry—  and the pavement trembled. The first exchange took only a second, but Jason couldn't believe the speed of their sword fighting.

He had never fought with someone like this. His heart beat right under his skin, all over his body. Sweat trickled down his forehead, his fingers wrapped carefully on the hilt of his sword, eyes following every move of his opponent.

He had felt this way once before, in Medea's store when the Princess of Colchis charmspoke him and Leo to fight each other, egging them on, making them hate each other.

This was similar, but far worse. Jason at the time had a blurry view of the world. Not all those feelings about Leo had been true. Leo wasn't useless, he was far more intelligent than Jason could imagine, he was quick on his feet, had saved their lives multiple times.

But now? Jason wondered if this was some sorcery or just his true self peeking through?

He didn't want to be a hero, but as soon as the spotlight was off him, ugly feelings boiled up. What if this was the person he had always been? What if this is who he always had been?

The horses pulled away from each other— Tempest thundering in protest, Blackjack flapping his wings.

"Stop it!" Piper yelled.

For a moment, Jason heeded her voice. Her voice was like an anchor, he needed to hold on to it. He turned toward her, and Percy charged, slamming his blade into Jason. The flat of it hit Jason's chest; but the impact was still enough to knock Jason off his mount.

More than his body, Jason's ego was bruised.

Blackjack cantered away as Tempest reared in confusion. The spirit horse charged into the sunflowers and dissipated into vapor.

Percy struggled to turn his pegasus around.

"Percy!" Piper yelled. "Jason's your friend. Drop your weapon!"

Percy's sword arm dipped. Piper might have been able to bring him under control, but unfortunately Jason got to his feet.

Jason roared. A bolt of lightning arced out of the clear blue sky. It ricocheted off his gladius and blasted Percy off his horse.

"Good games, Pierce" Jason grinned at fourteen. Dante had started to act aloof for whatever reason after their quest together.

Maybe it was grief. Unfortunately, their other quest partner, a guy from the first cohort, didn't make it back. He died far before they encountered the Trojan sea monster.

"Fuck you, Grace"

What did I do? Jason wanted to ask.

Things went wrong, horribly wrong. He didn't remember the whole of the war games. Just that he was angry, very angry. Dante kept poking and prodding. He kept hurling insults, but he was also shaking like a leaf, his eyes red and breath hitching like he was trying not to cry.