94

𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫, Dante was kind of, sort of... happy. Yes, they had the threat of the world ending, and yes they were humanity's last line of defence and yes he was sure he had anxiety and a million different things wrong with him after Tartarus. But... it was hard to not be happy for what was going on.

His brother was safe at the Greek camp, they had sent Reyna and Nico with Coach to unite the camps and every night Dante had Jason cuddling him despite his protests. So yeah. Life was good. Momentarily.

After three long days of the ship creaking and wheezing as they sailed, Leo finally got it more or less functioning just as they made port at the island of Mykonos.

Percy and Annabeth had gone to scout and returned with gelato for everyone.

The whole crew sat on deck, without a storm or a monster attack to worry about for the first time in days, and ate ice cream. Well, except for Frank, who was lactose intolerant. He got an apple.

The day was hot and windy. The sea glittered with chop, but Leo had fixed the stabilizers well enough that Hazel didn't look too seasick.

Curving off to their starboard side was the town of Mykonos – a collection of white stucco buildings with blue roofs, blue windows and blue doors.

"We saw these pelicans walking around town," Percy reported. "Like, just going through the shops, stopping at the bars."

Hazel frowned. "Monsters in disguise?"

"No," Annabeth said, laughing, "just regular old pelicans. They're the town mascots or something. And there's a "Little Italy" section of town. That's why the gelato is so good."

"Europe is messed up." Leo shook his head. "First we go to Rome for Spanish steps. Then we go to Greece for Italian ice cream."

But even he couldn't argue with the gelato.

Dante, despite not being much into sweets, enjoyed his coffee and dark chocolate gelato and made faces at Jason who had a bright blue and yellow one.

"That is an abomination" Dante grimaced.

"It's really good" Jason shrugged, "You should try it"

"Absolutely not" Dante moved away.

"Come on, Dante" Leo gestured with his double chocolate delight, "Taste it"

"Yeah go on" Annabeth snickered

"Come on, man, stop being bitter like the coffee you drink" Percy had a similar bright blue one and his tongue was already the same shade. Dante wrinkled his nose and flipped the guy off.

"Taste his ice cream, Pierce," Piper laughed.

Dante turned the shade of her strawberry gelato. "This is bullying and harassment, I want to register a complaint with HR"

"It's just bubble gum and lemon" Jason practically shoved the gelato at Dante.

"That is a horrifying sentence and an even worse combination" Dante pushed it away.

"Don't be bitter, be better" Hazel chided.

"I can multitask and do both" Dante gave her a smile.

He tried to imagine that he and his friends were just chilling on a vacation. Which made him wish the war was over and everybody was alive ... which made him sad. It was 30 July. Less than forty-eight hours until Gaea would awaken in all her dirt-faced glory.