Chapter 9, Ominous Shadow

Augustine went to go check the car, leaving Winnie and Isa to sit outside. Then Isa thought about what happened earlier in the car.

"So... what do you think happened?"

Isa asked, knees to her chest.

"Hmm?"

Winnie hummed, not knowing what she was talking about.

"Earlier in the car, when Augustine kinda... snapped at us. At you."

She elaborated.

"Ah.. I.. don't really know. Did I say something wrong?"

He asked, looking over at the brunette female.

"No... did I?"

She asked, and Winnie shook his head, looking back off into the distance.

"... Why did you ask me?"

He asked, and Isa looked down at the snow.

"No reason... I just thought you would know... you know, since you two seem to hang out with each other more..."

She said, and Winnie looked over at her a little worriedly.

"... What?"

He said, and Isa didn't react.

"... Nothing..."

She responded. Winnie wanted to ask Isa about it more... and maybe also about... that incident... but then he saw an ominous shadow in the distance.

He got a little shaken from it, then turned to Isa. But she didn't seem to be reacting to it, so he thought it was just his imagination. But to calm himself down, he started building a small snowman, finding some small stones and twigs around him.

Then Isa noticed what he was doing.

"Whatcha doin'?"

She asked, sounding a little happier than a few minutes ago, and the other turned to her.

"Building a snowman"

He said, smiling.

"... With your bare hands?"

She asked, making the other look down at his shivering hands.

"Mm..."

He hummed, and Isa sighed with a smile.

"I'll help you out."

She said, and the two started working on the little snowman, it was pretty quick since it was just a small little guy. But something caught Isa's eye in the distance.

"Uh... Winnie? Are you seeing that too?"

She said, pointing over at the ominous shadow in the distance.

"... I thought it was just a hallucination."

He said, and the two looked at the ominous shadow, both coming to the same conclusion...