Chapter 14, An Honest Conversation

[Don't]

.........................

The bad feeling came back, and the two turned around to find Augustine staring at the two in an eerie way, as if he was stuck in a trance.

"... Gold?"

Isa said, snapping her fingers in front of his face.

"Augustine?"

Winnie said, and the two shared a look, the mentioned brunette stood there for a while.

"Augustine??"

Winnie called again, but he wouldn't respond.

"Augustine?! Augustine!! SNAP OUT OF IT, AUGUSTINE !!!"

He said a little loudly, which managed to snap Augustine back to reality, though it did startle Isa a bit.

"Are you okay? You're sweating bullets- And what's with that scary expression on your face-... ! You keep talking to yourself and accusing us of something we never said... !"

He continued, lowering his voice.

"I would have thought it was the cold giving you these weird hallucinations, but you've been acting like this since back at the car."

Isa added, not making eye contact and instead looking at the wall. But it was a lovely wall, mind you.

"I called your name multiple times just now... ! And you didn't even answer... !"

Winnie finished, and the three fell into an uncomfortable silence. Then the blonde sighed.

"... We can't go on like this."

He said, turning away from Augustine and glancing at Isa, who nodded.

"...I'll go search for something upstairs, to see if we missed anything."

She said, turning to walk away and leave the two to have their own conversation. Though it's not like she was gonna just leave them alone, what if she lost them? What if they lost her?

So instead she hid behind one of the boxes conveniently placed behind the two others, who were both looking away so they didn't see Isa hiding there.

"Augustine, I... I have something to ask you. When I... fell down from the stairs last winter..."

He started, pausing for a moment, then turned back to the slightly shorter male.

"I saw... You. I know you didn't push me, I know I fell because I accidentally tripped myself, I know that- But I knew... you were at a distance where if you wanted... You could've easily reached out and stopped me from falling. Isa was at a distance where she couldn't do that."

He continued, his words had actually made Isa realize that too. At the time she was too much in shock to notice anything else.

"When I was lying on the floor, about to pass out... I also heard... footsteps of someone leaving the area. I know it wasn't Isa since I saw her before passing out. And I heard that... someone else called the ambulance other than you"