11. Maybe.

Y/N was out with one of their favourite people in the world. C/N (Crush Name).

They had met in their English class a few years ago, during an assignment where they needed to partner up. Over time, they became friends and started to hang out outside of school work. Y/N had been building up the courage to ask C/N out for while now and they finally found the right time to do it. It was the day where Y/N first started falling for C/N a year ago. They've recently started hanging out more frequently which only made Y/N's feelings grow and they've decided they didn't want to drag it out any longer.

"Hey, how about we go to the beach later? To watch the sunset and have dinner," Y/N asked C/N, smiling, rocking back and forth on their feet as they were waiting in line for their ice cream. 

"Sure! It's in an hour and it's down the road anyways," C/N piped up. They enjoyed sunsets and they were hanging out with their best friend so why wouldn't they want to go to the beach for dinner. Y/N started bouncing with excitement since it meant their plan was going to happen.

"One strawberry ice cream please! and uhh one vanilla as well, thank you!" Y/N ordered for the both of them then proceeding to pay. Strawberry for themself and vanilla for C/N.

"Thanks for ordering for me, love" C/N chirped. They appreciated that Y/N had remembered what their favourite ice cream flavour was. 

"No problem, darling," Y/N smiled, they were accustomed to calling each other pet names so it was normal to hear it but for Y/N, their heart always skipped a beat when they heard C/N call them "love". After the duo got their ice cream, they took a walk around the park so they could finish their ice cream, talk and think about what they were going to get for dinner. 

"I think the old Pokémon games are better than the ones on the Nintendo switch," C/N said as they finished up their ice cream.

"Okay fair but like the graphics are so much better on the Nintendo switch," Y/N thought for a bit before taking another bite from their ice cream.

"That's also fair I suppose," C/N commented. "Shall we go look for dinner?" they asked, looking over at Y/N who nodded and finished up their ice cream.

The pair made their way to the restaurants near the beach to try to pick out what they could have for dinner. They went through a few choices before settling for the little food truck that sold baked potatoes. It was a small business which didn't have a line but the food looked good. They began to look at the menu and each ordered a different item off the menu.

"Hi, may I please have the cheesy potato and a pop," Y/N said as they looked up from the menu. "Also we would also like a..." Y/N trailed off for C/N to finish their order.

"Chilli con carne potato and a pop as well, thank you," C/N said and smiled at the cashier who happily put their order in.

"Alright your order will be out in a minute, please hang on for a second," the man behind the counter said before moving to make their orders. After the order was ready, the cashier packed their food into a bag. "It's on the house mate. You two lovebirds seem cute, have a good one," the cashier said, tipping their hat a little. The comment made Y/N blush a little and C/N looked a little nervous from it.

They thanked the cashier and made their way over to a tables to have their dinner. It was still a little early for the sunset but it didn't stop them from diving into their meals that smelt delectable. Both of them immediately looked at each other in awe, the potatoes tasted amazing and the pops they bought just made it even better.

They devoured the food pretty quickly which meant they could just enjoy the sunset without having to look away to eat their food. Y/N took this opportunity to look at C/N and hold their hand which C/N was used to.

"Hey.. C/N," Y/N started, making C/N turn their hand to face Y/N. "Yeah?" They replied.

"We've been friends for a few years now and we've been getting a lot closer and.." Y/N trailed off a little. "I guess what I'm trying to say is.." They groaned and looked away for a second.

"I don't think I can.. want another person to hang out with," Y/N said before shaking their head. "That's not what I meant, I mean.. I like you, a lot.. I have for a year now and I think it has gone from like to.. l-love." They said, closing their eyes and scrunching their nose.

"Oh.. I.. Oh love.." C/N started. Opening and closing their mouths a few times while trying to gather their thoughts. "I.. I can't.. I.." C/N sighed. They knew they'd have to let Y/N know sooner or later, they just didn't expect it to be at this exact moment.. while they were confessing.

"Listen.. You're one of my best friends, if not my favourite person to hang out with but.. I just don't feel the same and it's not because I don't like you, it's more of I don't feel attracted to you. I like you as a person and as a friend but I don't feel the attraction that you feel and it's not cause of you, it's cause I'm Aroace. Which means.. I have little to no romantic or sexual attraction slash desires." C/N explained as Y/N felt their heart break.

"I.. I'm sorry." Y/N managed out as tears welled up in their eyes.

"No love. I'm sorry." C/N said, reaching their hand over to wipe Y/N's tears, feeling absolutely horrible.

"I could never choose to love another.." Y/N mumbled out. They've dated before but they've never felt the way they've felt with C/N. It crushed them to find out that C/N was aroace but at the same time they were happy that C/N trust them enough to tell them this, despite the situation. 

"Maybe.. One day I could learn to love you.. too." C/N whispered, going over to Y/N and pulling them into a hug, tears forming as they did.

Maybe in another universe. Maybe, just maybe, Y/N and C/N would end up together.

____________________________________________________________

A/N: Double update from this book and my other story, I See You!! Loosely based off the song We Become We from Journey to Bethlehem, without the religious annotations obviously. It breaks my little heart cause I made it into allo x aroace - (alloromantic + allosexual) x (aromantic + asexual); a person who has romantic attractions x a person with little to no romantic attractions.

- cass :)