Chapter 20

(scroll to 'Xavier's POV' if you've read the excerpt below already) 

Darrius' POV (Part 2 Chapter 18, in Abducted by a Hot Vampire: Prince Darrius)

Xavier and I literally run into each other in the halls, both searching for our father after the emergency announcement was made.

"Have you spoken to Claudia?" Xavier asks.

"Yes, just before. Claudia told me what Johnathan did, now she is going to your room where Jennifer and Caitlin are talking," I explain as quickly as possible.

"Caitlin was meant to stay in her room and was missing when I was searching for her before," Xavier growls, irritated and impatient.

"She was possessed by Eddrick and tried to kill Jennifer, that's all you missed out on –"

"She what?"

"We don't have time to worry about that, she is fine, Meredith expelled Eddrick from her mind and she is safe now with Jennifer in your room," I snap, "Let's go find our father before people actually take him seriously."

"He cannot be reasoned with, not after the transformation he would have gone through," Xavier snaps, "We have to kill him, then I'm going to take his position as King."

I'm not too surprised to hear my older brother say this so casually and with such a calm demeanour. I suspected he always wanted to overthrow our father anyway.

Suddenly a door opens down the hall we are walking through and a vampire exits with blood running down his chin, staining his clothes – and a huge grin plastered on his face.

"I've been dying to kill that runt of a slave since I captured him," he growls at us with that grin still present.

"Don't take heed of the announcement," Xavier growls, "It is false, do you really want to kill off the whole blood supply to this palace? Think about it you fool."

"A King's order, is a King's order," the vampire snarls back, "And I'll do as the King said."

Xavier and I stalk past without further comment because we don't have much time left.

"I'm going to kill off all the stupid vampires in this palace as soon as I'm King," Xavier growls.

"He could be under the influence of the infected tapped blood, keep that in mind, brother," I growl low, noting Xavier's anger is now growing. He had a temper and needed to be kept calm if he was to continue to make good decisions. Not much pissed him off, but when something tipped him over the edge, you didn't want to know my older brother.

We are interrupted when my phone rings and I see that it is Claudia. I take the call and hang up within seconds once she gives me the information I need.

"We have other issues," I growl, "Jennifer and Caitlin aren't in your room."

"Go find out what happened to them," Xavier orders, already no doubt feeling like he was King, "I will deal with our father."

I honestly didn't have an issue with Xavier wanting to kill our father – infected or not he wasn't the ideal ruler for this palace and he needed to be brought to justice for the death of our mother.

He wasn't the direct cause, but he may as well have been the reason she died.

"I'll find out what happened to them," I agree, "But as soon as you are in that office, whether you kill him or not, make the announcement to take back the last order. Do it as soon as possible."

"It's about time we restored peace and order to this palace," Xavier growls low, "Let's make it happen. Everyone needs to be reminded of their place and role in this hierarchy."