Part 3

Mr Poe rings the doorbell, and I hold Sunny over my waist. He rings it again, and there is no answer. We listen to a man's voice say multiple hello's before the door swings open. A tall, bony man smirks, saying, "Hello, hello, hello, hello children."
I scan his body, staring at a little tattoo of an eye on his ankle. The man continues, "I am Count Olaf, the renowned actor and your new guardian. You're welcome."
"Thank you?" Violet asks. Count Olaf smirks again, and says, "You're welcome. Please come in, and mind you wipe your feet on the mat so you don't track in any mud. And don't forget your enormous fortune!"
Violet leads the way into his house. It's a mess. Litter covers almost all the floor space, and I turn to Count Olaf. He is glaring at Mr Poe, who says, "It does seem to need a little work."
"I realise it isn't as fancy as the mansion the children were used to, but perhaps with a little of your money, it could be fixed up?" Count Olaf smiles. Mr Poe argues, "The Baudelaire will is very specific on how the money is to be used. Every single cent is locked up until Violet and Hazel Blue come of age."
"The eldest?" Count Olaf rolls his eyes, "All righty then. Well, I hope I can prove to be the father you never had."
"We had a father," I mutter. Count Olaf smirks, "And a mother. I know. Remarkable woman. Flammable. Poe, do I need to sign for them or something?"
Mr Poe shakes his head as he is shoved out the front door. Count Olaf throws his business card in the air and walks to us. We all take a step back, and I adjust Sunny on my waist. Count Olaf smirks, "Your parents must have really liked adjectives. Violet, Hazel, Blue and Sunny. Blue is a weird name for a kid."
"Klaus's name isn't Blue," I say, "My name is Blue. Hazel Blue. Technically should've been my middle name but there was a mistake with paperwork."
Count Olaf bursts into laughter, and I roll my eyes, glaring at him. Sunny babbles something I don't hear, and Count Olaf continues, "Sorry, actually no I'm not. Before I give you a tour of your new home, aren't you going to say, how do you do?"
"How do you do?" We all ask, unimpressed. Count Olaf says, "How do I do? How do I do? Better and better, Baudelaires. Better, and Better."
Sunny squirms in my arms, and I hug her close. She rests her head on my chest, and Count Olaf pulls something out his pocket. He demands, "Do you know what this is?"
"It looks like a list-" Klaus starts.
"WRONG! It's a list," Olaf shoves it into Klaus's hands, "Rich brats like you have probably never had to do a chore in your pathetic lives."
"Actually," I argue, "We often help around the house."
"Really, did you help around the house? Well, welcome to your lucky life. Come with me, and I'll show you the delights of your new home."

After a tour around a filthy kitchen, a disgusting library, a horrific ballroom, a... laundry room, a garden and a bathroom, we are shoved into a bedroom to 'unpack'. There is one bed, and a complimentary pile of rocks. Violet, Klaus, Sunny and I all sink onto the bed, and Klaus buries his head in my shoulder. Olaf, while at the door, says, "Your first impression of me may be that I am a terrible person. In time, I hope you will all come to realise, you haven't the faintest idea."
He storms out, slamming the door shut and I sigh. Klaus snaps, "He's horrible. Did you see the tattoo on his ankle?"
"Tattoos don't mean a person is a bad person," Violet sighs.
"They do if they're on a bad person," I mutter, "How could our parents put us here?"
Violet groans, standing up. She sighs, "It's just a mistake. It'll get all sorted out. Until then, we make this our home?"
"Mother used to say home is where you hang your hat," Klaus says, "But we don't have any rocks."
I stand up with Violet, handing Sunny to her. She sits down, and I sigh, "I've got ideas, but they'll take a while. If Olaf is going to make us do that list, I wont have time to fix this room up. And I need things. Multiple things. Do you think you'll be able to clean while I have a look round?"
"Depends," Klaus stands and walks to the window. He turns to me and asks, "What sort of stuff do you need?"
I look round the room, before saying, "Ideally, I could make two little hammock sort of things for both corners of the room. Then, someone could share the bed with Sunny, and the two other people could use the hammocks. If I can find curtains, that'd be good. And maybe some rugs we could clean?"
"That sounds really good," Violet hands me her ribbon, "Take this to tie your hair. If there is anything we can do to help, we'll do it."
"Just clean," I sigh, "I feel really bad saying that, but if you guys can keep Olaf distracted long enough, it might work. Any maybe we could go over to Justice Strauss's house! She might have a spare bed sheet to make into a hammock. This is mental."
"But do you think it'll work?" Klaus asks, "Like, actually work. Not maybe. Do you truly have faith that you can make this room liveable?"
I nod and Klaus sighs, "Then I guess we know what we have to do. Also, Hazel Blue isn't even that weird of a na-"
"Yes it is Klaus," I sigh. Klaus tries protesting, and I sigh, "Klaus, just don't even try. I love mother and father, but I've always known my name was mental. And Olaf is right. Violet, Hazel Blue and Sunny are all adjectives."
"Do you know what time it is?" Olaf laughs, while holding up a bucket and mop. We all bow our heads as he answers his own question.
"Show time."