XI

Draco Malfoy

I woke up today with the urge to see her, after everything that happened yesterday I needed to see her, I was in a great need for a distraction.

I walk towards my mother's room who's staring out of the window, one of the things she does, she looks like a ghost. I know she hates me for what I do for dark lord but I do it because I want her alive.

My eyes are glued to her, she isn't moving, just staring out the window, watching something, a ghost perhaps, or an imaginary object, a thing that's not even there. Her pale white skin almost looks translucent in the shadows of the hallway, her long raven black hair that hangs limply over her shoulders.

I see the lines where dark circles encroach her eyes, she hasn't slept for days.

A chill runs up my spine at this sight, she really was like a ghost, or a shadow of once a person she was.

"Mother?" I walk closer to her.

She doesn't react to my presence, she continues to stare out the window, her thin body almost fading away in the shadows.

"Mother," I say again, a bit louder this time, but she doesn't answer me.

I move forward in front of her, putting my hands on either side of her shoulders, leaning down so I can see her face clearly.

"I don't want to talk, leave," she says after a long pause

Her voice is barely audible through her dry, hoarse voice.

Her eyes are like ice, they're empty, devoid of any emotions, she can't even bother to look at me properly, her gaze is locked on something else.

"Mother, I told you, you need to eat. have you eaten anything since morning?"

"No..." She replies in a monotone voice, almost like she's not really aware of my presence at all. Her eyes, however, are sharp, as if a hawk is glaring into my soul, "I don't want to."

She's going to weaken herself even further if she doesn't take care of herself.

"You have to eat," I insist, "at least some biscuits, and then you can go back to this, staring into space or something."

"I don't want to," She replied, her voice still monotone. Her eyes seem to be looking right through me, it's like she doesn't even see me here anyway.

I sigh and take a few deep breaths, trying to keep myself from exploding. She's like a wall; she pushes me away every time I try to get close enough to her. she's been like that ever since father died, ever since dark lord killed him.

I can't blame her, I've done the same, building a wall around myself, masking it with cold personality.

"Mother, please. you need to take care of yourself. You have to eat."

"Leave." She said once again, her voice is still monotone

I could leave, I could ignore her, let her rot in her own misery without doing anything about it, but that's just not who I am. I can't just watch her suffer like this.

"I don't want to leave," I reply with a slight edge to my tone. "I won't let you starve yourself."

She rolls her eyes and looks up at me, finally finding the energy to actually look me in the eyes. Her features are sharp.

"Are you going to force-feed me? Or beat me until I swallow something?" She asks, mocking me.

"Neither," I say calmly, "but you need to eat something. I'm not leaving until you do."