Inner Turmoil

Roman let go of the intercom button when he heard the name Magdalena Rosario. Like Eliza, he, too, wondered why she was suddenly calling him, but most of all, why she was using his real name. No one knew him as Roman but as Alejandro, and it had been months since he last spoke to the delusional woman. He had had his fair share of neurotic women, but Magdalena took the cake. She had created an entire relationship and future in her head. Roman had made it clear he was only interested in erotic encounters and nothing more. Magdalena happily agreed to the arrangement, but soon after their second night of lustful adventures, she had created an entire relationship-an entire future with Roman.

When she began to plan a wedding, Roman put an end to it quickly. Is it possible she figured out who he was? Was she looking for revenge? No, it was impossible. There was nothing linking Alejandro to Roman. There must have been another reason why she was calling. He mulled the thought over in his mind as he ate his food. When he finished, he again turned toward the giant window in his office, hoping it would ease his mind. There was still enough daylight ahead of him, but it had already been far more sedulous than usual.

His morning had been long and trying. The client he had met with made their meeting far more tedious than he expected, but he won in the end, as with all his conquests. It was his fault, really. Had his mind not kept wandering back to the charming new assistant sitting in his office, the meeting would not have lasted as long in the first place. Yet, images of the beautiful woman flaunted themselves in his mind and did just that, compelling him to forget about the other insane woman. He and Valencia had only shared pleasantries, but Roman was already smitten for the first time in his life. Something was alluring about the petite woman, and he wasn't sure if he was willing or ready for such a serious connection.

He sat in his office, watching the busy city thrive as it always did. It was the only way he could keep himself from staring at the woman sitting just outside his glass wall, and it helped him think when things seemed complicated. Still, visions of her slightly reddening cheeks from their earlier meeting made him smile. She looked adorable. If he could, and she was willing, he'd turn more than just her cheeks red. Roman let out a groan in frustration as, once again, images of Ms. Reyes settled in his mind. At this rate, they might as well make their home there.

Valencia was small compared to him. Her rich, sun-kissed skin glowed with luminosity. Her captivating chocolate eyes were expressive and mirrored her vibrant personality, even behind her black-framed glasses. Her two long braids cascaded down her shoulders. They caught his attention as they, in his opinion, showed that she embraced a youthful playfulness while also maintaining a solid work ethic and professionalism with her attire. The woman emitted confidence, charm, grace, and femininity. She donned a neat, plum-colored button-down shirt without it being too constrictive, pairing it with a black knee-length skirt, and opted for matching comfortable yet fashionable heels.

Self-control wasn't Roman's strong suit. He knew he was a spoiled man, which Roman blamed on both his parents, and wasn't used to hearing the word no. It was made worse when he realized that women practically fell to their knees, eager to please him in whichever way they could. Roman was sure it was the money if it weren't for his good looks. With money came power, and with power came the obedience of those who wanted a piece of the life he already attained. It was sometimes a bit comical and even pathetic, but it always worked in his favor. Only one person in this world knew Roman for who he was and accepted his every flaw. Or, at least, he thought.

He and Cassius had known one another since childhood and never tried to exploit Roman or his family's riches. No, Cassius made his way with his skills and refused their help whenever offered. It was one of the many things he loved about the man. What they had was real and raw, and now, Roman sat here wondering what went wrong and how these new feelings for this new woman might have come to be. Did that mean he could finally move on from his former lover? Or would she be another distraction? This was something he would need to think about thoroughly. He didn't want to cause another heartache, hers or his own.