Roman Alejo

Roman watched Valencia with amusement. It was no secret to the underworld who his father was. Eloi Alejo was brutal, cold, and vindictive. He was one of the few people no one dared to cross. Even Roman himself knew better than to oppose his father. Leaving the way he did was enough for Mr. Alejo to condemn Roman, yet he never did. It was that thought alone that made Roman nervous on many occasions. He often wondered if it was because his father was buying his time or if Mr. Alejo still hoped that Roman would someday return. Either way, Roman didn't like it.

He watched Valencia ramble on about the little she knew about his father, which amazed him. Although many politicians did business with Roman's father under the radar, the average population knew nothing about the Alejo's. Unless it was mentioned in the news, even then, things would quiet down within a day or two, and the world would go back to pretending Eloi Alejo didn't exist. Roman laughed as Valencia's tone of surprise intermingled with her backhanded quips.

"Are you making fun of me?" Roman chuckled finally.

"No, never," she lied with a snarky grin. "Maybe, but it does explain why you are the way you are, and I understand now why you chose to keep your real identity hidden. I was your assistant for only a few months, Roman, but I can tell that everything you do is by the book and legit. Although, I'm also sure that a few signed contracts were met with blackmail and/or fear." Valencia's eyes narrowed jokingly at Roman.

"What makes you say that?" Roman raised a brow.

"Because some of the signatures weren't neat. It looked like their hands were shaking the entire time," she grinned widely.

"You're amazing, you know that? That alone would have sent any other woman running for the hills." He laughed.

"Well, I did promise you I wouldn't run away again," she teased.

A low growl rumbles in Roman's throat, and the weight of his body suddenly falls on Valencia, who lets out a surprised scream. Roman was being playful, and she loved it. They stared lovingly at one another. Valencia wrapped her arms around his neck. For a long time, their relationship was purely sexual, regardless of the feelings they hid. Now, they were being intimate like a real couple would be-a sense of euphoria and contentment radiated from both. The bond, the connection they had felt from the moment they met, had only solidified in that moment. Still, there was one crucial matter that Valencia needed answers to.

"Roman," she breathed.

"Yes?"

"What's your relationship with Cassius?"

Roman slowly crawled off Valencia's body and sat next to her again. Her question had cut him off guard, and honestly, he wondered why she was even asking. Had Roman given her a reason to suspect anything? Was he that obvious? Roman believed he was far more difficult to decipher; now, he thought otherwise. Regardless, he didn't want to lie to her. Not now. Not after Roman had promised her to answer whatever questions her heart desired. He wanted her to be happy-but would telling her the truth about Cassius keep her happy?

"I guess we're putting a pin on my daddy issues, then?" He smirked.

"For now," Valencia smiled back.

"Can we put a pin on the Cassius question, too?" Roman hoped.

"Nope, sorry," Valencia shook her head but continued to smile.

Fuck, he thought. If Valencia would have asked for the world, he'd have given it to her without a question. Roman would do anything for her if it didn't cause him to lose her again. He hadn't prayed in a very long time, but tonight, he looked to the sky and did just that. Roman prayed that Valencia wouldn't find him disgusting, a sinner, or an abomination for having had-or still having-feelings for the only man he had ever had them for. Roman stared at the bright stars twinkling happily against the darkened sky.