Declining Restraint

Day in and day out, Roman couldn't help his wandering thoughts, and it was the most difficult to focus when he saw Valencia walking by. The way her hips swayed from side to side with every step was far more hypnotizing than he expected, and the lust-filled look in her eyes when she walked into his office was enough to make him stir. His most trying times were on the mornings when Valencia would arrive earlier than usual, Roman assumed, to get a headstart on the day. On those mornings, she would shower and use the bathroom provided for her.

The sweet aroma of lavender and sometimes vanilla would sneak between the door's cracks, hand in hand with the steam, teasing him—calling to him. Roman's body reacted on its own accord every single time, and with each passing day, his self-control dwindled. So much so that he could no longer prepare his coffee in their private kitchen. Having to pass the bathroom was becoming unbearable. Roman had to compress the urge to burst through the door, like an animal, to make her his. He was often like an insatiable savage whenever Valencia was around.

He threw himself back into his chair, running his fingers through his loose strands as images of Valencia's curves continued to dominate his mind, and the lack of random sex didn't help, either. Roman weighed his options, listing the pros and cons of having an intimate relationship with his new assistant. He was so lost in thought that he hadn't even heard someone enter his office. Startling him as the bulge in his suit pants would have been difficult to hide had the person come any closer. Roman jolted into a sitting position with his arms resting on his desk to find Eliza holding back her laughter. Both of them clear their throats before Eliza speaks.

"Mr. Ortiz? Are you alright?" Eliza raised an amused brow, "Mr. Ortiz, I'm starting to regret hiring Ms. Reyes for this position."

She was surprised when he let out a hearty laughter. The corners of his eyes crinkled with a bit of age, and his shoulders shook in levity. "There's nothing wrong with admiring something—or someone beautiful, Eliza. Besides, tomorrow night is your last day here, and it's too late to replace her. Not to mention, she does the job well, almost as well as you," he praised.

Eliza blushed at the adoration, "There's nothing wrong with looking, Mr. Ortiz, unless it begins to interfere with your work. You were so lost in thought when I walked in that you didn't even hear what I said," she grinned slyly.

Roman laughed softer, "Yes, I heard what you said, Eliza."

"I doubt that," her eyes turned into slits.

"Alright then, you said that I had a meeting at two today and that my signature is needed for the Aguilar and Hernandez projects. You also mentioned a rash you found. . ." Eliza let out a high-pitched yelp, keeping Roman from finishing his sentence.

"I said that in jest! I was trying to see if you were listening. All it's proven is that you are an expert at multitasking," she grumbled. Her cheeks had gone slightly pink, too.

Roman thanked Eliza for the paperwork, gave him a swift nod, and returned to the front desk with Ms. Reyes. Roman could still see the worry in her eyes despite their friendly banter, and she had a reason. The inevitable was going to happen, and there was no escaping it. He knew deep down that he and Valencia were meant to be more. He just didn't want to admit it. Not yet. After his last conversation with Eliza, she didn't dare mention the thickening tension between him and Valencia, though a comment here and there would slip occasionally. Much like today, but he couldn't be angry with her. She had good reason, as he was letting it affect his work.

After thirteen years, Eliza was no longer just an employee to him. She was much more than that. She was a friend, a confidant—and a mother. It was clear to Roman that Eliza didn't keep his secrets because he paid her to; Eliza kept them because she chose to. With today being her last, Roman wanted to show her how much he appreciated her for putting up with him and his demands for so long. Today, Eliza would be his main priority, forcing his unconventional and perplexing feelings aside for Ms. Reyes; he called her into his office soon after Eliza had gone down to another floor for some paperwork.