A Friend in Need

After leaving Roman's building, Valencia aimlessly drove, wandering through the streets of her city, stopping occasionally when her sobs blurred her vision too much. Dazed and confused, Valencia was alone for the third time in her life. Her friendship with her ex-best friend, Samantha, was still strained, and Valencia had no family. The only other friendship she had was with Eliza, who was currently on an extended vacation in Cabo with her wife, Selene.

When the gas light came on, though, Valencia knew that Eliza was the only one in the world she could confide in, as she was the only other person who knew Roman personally. Defeated, Valencia drove to the nearest gas station, filled her car, and then drove home. Even though she had nowhere to go, something inside her told her she'd need to pack a bag, so she did. When the first light of day began to peek through her blinds, Valencia took her phone, her thumb hovered over Eliza's name, and even though she knew the I told you so was inevitable, Valencia closed her eyes tightly and called her.

Eliza's phone rang several times, and just as Valencia's loss of hope overwhelmed her, Eliza answered. "Hello?" Eliza mumbled, her voice slow and raspy.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, Eliza, I forgot Cabo is two hours behind. I'll just call back later," Valencia stuttered.

"Valencia? Is everything okay? Did something happen to Roman?" Her voice sounded clearer, more alert.

"I'm not sure how to answer that, Eliza. Physically, Roman is fine, and Roman Industries is still thriving, too." Valencia chuckled half-heartedly.

"Valencia... are you okay?" Valencia could hear Selene asking Eliza who called and if everything was okay.

"Oh, Eliza, what I'm about to tell you will make your head spin."

Eliza put Valencia on speaker for the next thirty minutes so she and Selene could hear the entire story. Valencia told them about the ongoing phone calls Magdalena made, how Roman finally took her call, and how she taunted him before telling him that she was pregnant. Valencia told them, with very little detail, about the sex they had in his office, and finally, she told them about the meeting Roman had with Magdalena the afternoon before. They both gasped when they learned Magdalena was pregnant with his twins, Eliza bellowed how it was impossible the children were Roman's. He was too smart and too careful to make such a stupid mistake. When Valencia finished recounting everything, Eliza and Selene questioned Magdalena's motive and pregnancy, rightfully so.

When Valencia suggested that there was a possibility that Magdalena drugged Roman and took advantage of the opportunity, they agreed. Still, the three women knew, just as Roman did, that without evidence, calling the authorities would do nothing except make Roman look like a man trying to evade the responsibilities unwittingly thrust upon him. Eliza and Selene sympathized with Valencia and were angry for Roman, yet none knew how to fix it.

"It seems a nice vacation would do you some good," Eliza suggested.

"Vacation? Eliza, at this point, I don't believe I still have a job." Valencia let out a deep sigh and slumped into her chair. The weariness threatened to settle in her bones, draining the little energy she had left.

"Stop it. Roman won't let you go that easily if everything you say is true. I'm surprised he hasn't gone looking for you yet."

"He won't force me to return; he said so himself. Besides, I need to clear my head, and I can't do that properly if Roman is with me. I'd give in too easily. I just have nowhere to go."

"Then come here, to Cabo, with me and Selene."

"What? No, Eliza, I could never. You and Selene should be enjoying your time alone. I'd only be getting in your way. I'd be the third wheel, and not the good kind, either. I'd be the kind of wheel that shakes uncontrollably, squeaking louder every time you speed up," Valencia ran a dispirited hand through her hair. Eliza and Selene's hearty laughs echoed through the phone.