Chapter Two - Unexpected Beginnings

As Raido eagerly awaited his birthday present, his mother swept into the room, a vision of grace and beauty with her long, glowing dark blue hair held back by her trademark golden hair clips. Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she stood beside the open door, as if ready to unveil a treasure beyond imagination.

Raido could barely contain his excitement, his heart pounding in his chest as he waited with bated breath. And then, as if on cue, a small purple-ish head timidly poked around the door frame. Large, curious eyes examined the room and it's occupants, taking in every detail with keen interest. It's large proportioned ears twitched with every sound of movement from the room.

With a gentle smile, Raido knelt down a few feet away from the door, extending his hand out and beckoning, "Come here, boy," expecting his very own male Nidoran to walk in at any moment.

As the small creature timidly crept further and further around the door frame, Raido realised that his surprise, the Pokemon was not what he expected. Raido's heart sank. Confusion and a tinge of disappointment etched across his face as he turned back to towards his Mom. "Mom, did you... did you bring back the wrong Pokemon?".

Now stood in the open doorway for all to see, it was clear that the Pokemon cautiously stepping into the room was not the boisterous male Nidoran he had always dreamed of. Instead, stood there, sniffing the air curiously, was a timid female Nidoran, her ears twitching nervously as she continuous to anxiously take hesitant steps towards Raido.

Mom's smile faltered for a moment, a flicker of nervousness crossing her features. "Oh, Raido, I'm sorry" she began, her voice tinged with regret. "This was the only one the Pokemon breeder had left."

Raido's disappointment was palpable as he tried to mask his feelings, but it was clear to everyone in the room, especially the timid female Nidoran who hung her head in shame, feeling the weight of Raido's unspoken disappointment.

Domino seized the opportunity for further teasing. "It'll be fine little bro, the girly vibe suits you anyway" he remarked with a smirk, "Are you sure you don't want to stick to contests instead?."

Raido's cheeks burned with embarrassment as he struggled to find the right words. His dream of following in his brother's footsteps, of forging a powerful bond with his own Pokemon, seemed to crumble before his eyes.

Raido's mother continued to reassure him that this Nidoran was still a great Pokemon to have, citing the breeder's assurances of her potential and inner spirit, Raido tried to bring himself round to the idea. But the disappointment still lingered, casting a shadow over what was supposed to be a joyous occasion.

With a heavy heart, Raido watched as the timid young Pokemon retreated to a corner of the room, curling up into a small ball of fur. His big day had been overshadowed by disappointment, and he couldn't shake the feeling that things would never be the same again. Despite the weight of disappointment, Raido knew he couldn't come across as unappreciative. Swallowing his pride, he turned to his Mom with a forced smile, gratitude in his eyes. 

"Thank you Mom," he said softly, his voice barely above a whisper. "I really appreciate the gift."

But as Raido glanced over at the timid Nidoran curled up in the corner, a surge of determination flooded his veins. He couldn't let his disappointment cloud his judgement any longer. With a resolute nod, he made his way over to her, sitting down beside her and gently stroking her head.

To his surprise, the female Nidoran reacted to his caring touch, her eyes meeting his with a curiosity and trust. In that moment, Raido felt a spark of connection ignite between them, a bond that transcended disappointment and misunderstanding. "I guess you are pretty cute, aren't you" he whispered gently. The hint of a smile posed across the Nidoran's face, a moment of bonding.

But before the moment could linger any longer, Domino's voice cut through the air, interrupting their newfound connection. "Hey, Raido" he called out, a mischievous grin playing upon his lips. "Why don't you girl your new girly Pokemon a whirl?," he continued, "Hows about a quick battle against Rhino? I'll go easy on you".

Raido hesitated, his stomach churning with nervous anticipation. He knew how strong Domuno and Rhino were, after all, he idolised them, and the thought of facing them in his first ever battle filled him with a sense of dread.

Feeling a nudge against his arm, he looked down and was caught in the gaze of his new partner. He saw a fiery determination in the big red eyes of the Nidoran - a determination to prove herself worthy of being his companion.

With a hesitant smile, he asked, "Are you sure, girl?"

The female Nidoran nodded eagerly, her body tense and ready for battle. Raido felt a surge of determination welling up inside him as he met her gaze, a resolve strengthened by her unwavering faith in him.

Turning back to Domuno, Raido clenched his fist, his voice ringing out with newfound determination. "Let's battle!" he declared, his heart pouding with excitement as he prepared to face his first challenge as a Pokemon Trainer.