Chapter 8: Margo

Margo woke up the next morning feeling groggy as she turned off her alarm. She let out a sigh, making sure to text Jessica before stumbling out of bed.

After what had happened last night, she barely had any sleep and was absolutely exhausted. However, she had a family reunion to attend so she couldn't just laze around like she wished to.

Margo had decided to take a shower to wake herself up and got dressed into a simple suit and blouse combo. She had heard that the family mostly consisted of men, so she didn't want to stick out too much. She then put her shoulder length hair into a neat ponytail and put on light makeup.

Once she was ready, she pulled the service bell to call Deloris. The older woman happily escorted Margo to where the Freeman Reunion was being held.

"So, um, am I expected to do anything when I get to the reunion?"

Margo fidgeted with her sleeve nervously. She always had anxiety about meeting new people, but this was family.

If she didn't leave a good impression, then she was worried she would end up feeling more alone than she already did.

"No need to be nervous, ma'am. I'm sure the Freemans will adore you."

Margo flushed at Deloris' comment. It was amazing how well the older woman could read people. It was honestly comforting for Margo that she had someone looking out for her.

"Thank you, Deloris...really. I guess I've just been kind out anxious about so many new things happening at once."

Deloris turned to her and gave her a warm smile. She then took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. It reminded Margo of her mother, which helped calm her mind a bit.

"Of course, ma'am. I understand you feel alone in a strange new place. I want to do everything I can to help you feel at home here." Hearing Deloris say that made Margo feel even more at ease.

The two soon reached the drawing room and Deloris opened the door for Margo.

She was honestly surprised to so many people in one room. All of them were men.

She also noticed that all of them were wearing a golden pin with the same ouroboros motif as the doors.

Louis was the first to greet her as Deloris closed the door behind her. Even he was wearing a pin on his lapel.

"Margo, looking sharp. Come, there's so many who wish to meet you."

The two linked arms and Louis escorted her around the room. It felt nice to have Louis by her side, like she had a doting older brother.

Whenever Margo was introduced to a new person, they did this odd gesture where they touched three fingers to their lips. She didn't think much of it, though and wrote it off as some kind of traditional greeting.

"So, the young lord of the house has been asking about you. Seems he's become quite smitten with you."

Margo nearly choked on an hors d'oeuvre that she had picked up from a tray as Louis teased her. She then grabbed a glass of wine to help drink it down.

"I'm not too sure about that. I mean, I made a huge scene when we first met."

Louis chuckled at her reply and grabbed a glass of wine as well. She wasn't exactly joking though. She felt like she made the worst possible impression both times she had met Deacon.

"Nonsense, I've never seen anyone stand up to old Barnaby the way you did. I'm sure your sense of justice is quite refreshing to him."

As Margo was about to continue the conversation, a man who seemed to be the oldest in the room stood and tapped his glass to get everyone's attention.

"That's great uncle Charles. He's been the most excited to meet you." Louis whispered to Margo in a hushed tone. The older man wasn't anything like Margo had expected. He still seemed quite healthy for his age and nowhere near dying like her cousin had implied.

"To think this day would come so soon. After so many boys, we finally have a girl in the family."

Everyone in the room laughed after the old man spoke and gestured toward Margo. She was expecting him to continue but instead, it seemed like everyone shifted their attention to her.

"Oh, it's my turn?" Margo's cheeks turned hot as she was not expecting to speak in front of the group of strangers. She cleared her throat as she thought quickly about what to say.

"Um, after my mom died, I thought I was completely alone. But then Louis found me...we found each other, and I couldn't be more grateful for that kind of miracle. Because now, I have all of you and you've all been so welcoming to a complete stranger like me. That is more than I could have ever hoped for. So, thank you, Louis and all of the Freeman clan."

After Margo had finished, everyone in the room applauded her. Louis even gave her a hug with a touched expression on his face.

"We should be thanking you, Margo. You've really brought a spark to this family, and we're lucky to have you."

She smiled as her cousin gave her those comforting words. For once in a very long time, Margo felt like she actually had somewhere she belonged.