Chapter 15: The Pooper

Over the weeks, months, and years after the conversation that came shortly thereafter, it was still hard for Mari to reconcile the Dom she'd known as Sir with the person she knew as Brianna. Sir had such a presence, such an omniscience, that it remained hard for her to accept that all of it was just because Brianna had had a front row seat. Brianna was the upstart girl, and Mari couldn't shake that perception easily. Even after Mari understood the truth, Brianna remained the woman who whined about chores. She was still the friend who could catch herself being impatient. She still retreated into Harriet's room often. While sometimes she went into Harriet's room to change the lawyer's full diapers, Mari understood that sometimes Sir sought one of her little girls just to vent and talk.

In some senses she felt betrayed. Why would the person she knew as Sir not just tell her? Why hadn't Brianna swept her off her feet and told her how badly she wanted to see her diapered? Seven months of angst and yearning could have been transformed overnight into a blissful diaper paradise.

Brianna always replied to her frustrations the same way, and it was always the same thing that Sir would have said. "It was for your good. You needed the barrier, not me. You needed to come to terms with it. Not us. We set it up so you could not fail. We waited until it was truly your choice."

She always said it with the kindest smile.

It was tough to understand that smile as something other than the petulant passive-aggressiveness that Mari had always identified in Brianna. It was especially difficult that first day when she was sitting on Harriet's bed, still wearing one of the grossest diapers she'd ever worn. Harriet sat beside her, still holding her hand. Brianna had only checked Harriet in front of everyone, and when the result of the check came back 'stinky', she'd ordered both Harriet and Mari to Harriet's room and seated them both side by side, on Harriet's bed.

"I don't mind your poobutt on my bed," Harriet said to her, squeezing her hand. "Not one bit, and hopefully many many more times."

Brianna stood over them after shutting the door behind her. Harriet cleared her throat. "I'm not trying to be self-serving when I say I think Mari might need a new diaper more urgently than me," Harriet said.

Mari paled, but couldn't deny it. She needed a new diaper pronto.

Brianna offered to let Mari change on her own, if she wanted. She also offered to let her change on her own going forward, until she was ready. Like everything else, the first time she got her diaper changed by another adult would have to be her choice. Mari knew that what she really wanted was to submit. Nevertheless, there on the bed, she was shaking. Despite everything, Mari was still convinced that she would be kicked out on the street.

"I..."

"Just tell us if you aren't ready," Brianna said. Her face was serene, but neither smiling nor scowling. If she noticed the smelly nature of the two women sitting before her, she did not let on. Mari could tell that Brianna was acting on principle, that Sir was trying her best to be hands-off. Mari thought of the Sir who had delayed her diapering by months as well as the Sir who had made her wear boosters for a week. Brianna was neither inviting nor discouraging. She was open, she was a literal fork in the road. She was letting Mari figure out what was for her good.

"It's gonna be OK," Harriet told her. "Sir is very good at changing diapers."

After gulping down a mouthful of saliva and squeezing Harriet so tightly that Harriet might abort it all, Mari finally found the courage to nod.

Brianna nodded in reply. A faint smile spread across her face. Relief.

"Harriet, I think me and the little one need alone time. Be good for me, OK?"