Chapter One

Not a happy ending story. Major character death.

Chapter One

Herrera and Hughes make their way out of the aid car and to the scene where they saw a young black man being restrained by a white cop, they looked at each other, knowing that this was bad.

They heard the officer on Jamal yelling, "Stay still!"

"Get off! Ow." Andy and Vic looked at each other and began to move closer to the sobbing young man.

"Keep him down." Another officer was yelling. "Stop moving!"

"Get off me!" The young man pleaded.

"About time you showed up." A cop with a gun trained on the young man had said, turning back briefly to look at them. Meanwhile, the young man was having trouble breathing and his breaths were coming out short and heavy.

Andy and Vic finally shook themselves out of the shock and moved closer. "Okay, let's just take a second."

"W-W-What's going on?" Andy asked.

"We got a call from the neighbor reporting suspicious activity near the home." The cop with the gun answered.

"You gotta calm down, son. Okay? Please calm down!" the black female cop on the young man's legs begged when he wouldn't stop groaning and moving.

"Stop moving!" The cop with the gun yelled.

"Hey! Hey! What if we put the gun down? I don't think we need the gun." Andy tried to reason, arm up, trying to deescalate the situation.

"We came across him looking pretty sketchy, hood covering his face, walking fast with a backpack. And when we tried to question him, he wouldn't stop. Just started running." The officer on the man's back rushed out, pushing the man into the ground even more.

"We got him down on the ground in the ties. Called you to sedate him."

"Okay, how long have you had him down?" Vic asked, worried.

"I don't know. How long did it take you to get here?" The cop on the mans back asked.

"Okay." Vic was in disbelieif, they weren't strangers to police brutiality but it was still a sad sight to see.

The young man continued to grunt and groan. "Calm down."

"Can you just put the gun down? Let's just put the gun down, all right?" Vic asked, hoping they would see season.

"He's not stable." The cop with the gun argued.

"In order for us to help and do our jobs, we can't have you pointing a gun at him, or at us. Okay?" Vic told the cop.

"She's right, Smith." The officer on the young man's legs said.

The man continued to groan, barely able to breathe with the way his head was positioned.

"Thank you, thank you." Vic said and rushed towards the man, the two cops still on top of him.

"What's he saying? I can't even-" a cop tried to ask and Andy cut in.

"He's-- He's-- He's speaking Spanish. All right, he's not erratic, he's just scared. All right, he doesn't

need to be pinned down" Andy said, trying to reason with the officers. "If you want us to give him a sedative, we need to get him off the ground and out of those ties." Andy paused and looked at the officer who had the gun out, a look of fear on her face. "Your move."

Jamal was still breathing heavily. "It's okay."

"Um, he's... he's calm. He's not gonna go anywhere. So, can you get off of him so we can do a medical assessment?" Andy asked the two cops on Jamal.