ONE

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

TONY STARK was much kinder than Melanie imagined him to be.

Growing up in the Midwest, she pictured all billionaires to have a holier-than-thou attitude and self-righteous persona.

She was right, of course, that's exactly what Tony was like.

But he also made her laugh. Surprised her on her first day as "The Avengers Chef" with a top-of-the-line cooking and baking set.

He claimed it was for his own reasons, but she knew it had to do with his heart.

(Pepper liked to joke he didn't have one. But Melanie knew if he could land a woman like Pepper — he wasn't missing the cardiac muscle.)

Speaking of her new job, it's something Natasha pushed for once they met.

She'd saved Melanie's life from an alien — a Chitauri, she later learned — and when their eyes connected, time stood still.

Melanie never really believed in soulmates. They didn't seem plausible and were founded on the fantastical idea that someone could be perfect for you.

Despite's Lucy's stories about her late husband, Melanie thought soulmate was an interchange word for love.

But then green met blue and she realized how naive she'd been to think it impossible.

Natasha promised to find her after the battle, and true to her word, she was sought out a week later.

She was given a room at Avengers Tower, a job as the Avengers Chef, and a chance to know Natasha.

The only problem was Loki.

See, Melanie had heard of people having multiple soulmates, but it was few and far between.

And she really liked Natasha.

Natasha was pretty and soft and made Melanie blush just by standing next to her in a room.

Loki was cold and antagonistic and mean.

But he did have nice cheekbones and she supposed she could work with that.

"Mels, what's for breakfast?" Steve asked, pulling Melanie from her thoughts.

Melanie set the tray of French toast down, serving fresh fruit and drinks as well.

She set out a placemat for Loki, like she always did, but a part of her knew he wouldn't join them. Like he always did.

It was weird at first, learning to bunk with the Avengers. As fame reached them and people began to obsess, it wasn't long before it came out that Melanie was involved with one of them somehow.

Luckily, Natasha was very protective, and the other Avengers knew better than to say anything, so Melanie was more speculated on than confirmed.

Still, it was weird sometimes to sit across from Captain America and discuss why Star Wars was better than Star Trek.