FOUR

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

MELANIE sat in between Clint and Nat during the meeting, doodling shapes on her notepad. She wasn't entirely sure why she was invited, but she couldn't be more disinterested.

She met Nick Fury for the first time, offered him peanut butter cookies with a hopeful smile, and beamed excitedly when he quietly asked her for a bag to take home.

Everyone said he was intimidating, but Melanie couldn't really see it.

Melanie sighed, crossing the 'x' on the tic-tak-toe board she and Clint had created, then doodled a heart with an arrow through it on Nat's notepad.

Natasha didn't react, but Melanie knew she liked it.

Clint put an 'o' on the top right corner, and Melanie crossed her line, smiling softly to herself: she'd totally won.

"Dismissed," Steve stood first, nodding for everyone to disperse, and Melanie let out a breath of relief.

"Please never make me do this again," she asked Natasha in a low voice. "That was so boring I thought my head was going to explode."

"You need to know what's going on, Mel," Natasha shook her head. "It's for your own safety."

"It's dumb," Melanie shrugged. "If I'm in there but I'm not an Avenger, then why isn't Loki?"

"Because you're our cute baker," Natasha pressed her against a wall in the hallway outside the briefing room. "And he's a mass murderer."

Melanie hummed in thought. "I think to Loki, we're like bugs. How many bugs have you killed, Nat? I think I've killed a hundred. I hate them. So, to Loki, he's just like...bam, splat, ants are gone, those annoying pests. But to us, the ants, we're like, oh noooo, this is terrible. You know?"

Natasha grinned, letting out a small laugh, before pressing her lips to Melanie's, kissing her softly. "You're so cute," she pulled back, the girls walking down the halls again.

"Are we doing karaoke night tonight?" Melanie asked Tony as they passed him.

"Don't sing and I might agree to it."

"I'm a great singer," Melanie pouted.

"You big the saddest 80's music or Taylor Swift," Tony rolled his eyes. "No one needs to see that again."

"I like your music taste," Bruce spoke up as he joined them in the elevator. "Swift's not bad."

"Does she soothe the Hulk?" Melanie asked excitedly.

"No," Bruce chuckled. "But she's talented. I like the album with the sad stuff."

"That's so unspecific," Melanie whispered.

"You all need better music taste," Tony pointed out. "Though, I'll give it to you, at least its not like Rasputin over here," he pointed to Natasha, who rolled her eyes.

Melanie knew that Natasha also liked Taylor Swift. And a lot of the same bands that Tony did. But she didn't voice that.

"Maybe I'll sing you a Russian song tonight," Natasha said to Tony as the doors opened. "It'll be the plot of your death."

Melanie let out a giggle as the two walked off in the direction of Melanie's bedroom.

"I have to go," Natasha pressed a soft kiss to her lips, stroking her hair gently. "I'll see you tomorrow though, okay? Steve and I will be back soon."

Melanie nodded, pulling her girlfriend into a hug.

"моя милая девочка," Natasha breathed out. "I'll see you soon."