Chapter 5: Abandoned

"How can you keep that important information from us, Elizer!?"

That was the first thing I heard as soon as I entered my dad's home. Yes, my dad's and not ours. Because ever since my mom died, I felt like a stranger in my own house.

"It was mine and Brent's relationship, tita. I just didn't feel the need to tell you every single piece of information about us."

I answered while taking off my shoes. It has been 2 months since Brent broke up with me, and my father and his wife just got ahold of the news.

"You really think I care about you or anything that you do, don't you!?"

She moved closer to me with a threatening aura. She also made her voice a little quiet like she was trying not to let anyone hear her. I have always known that she hates me. In fact, a lot of people do, I don't know why she's still trying to hide it.

"I don't care even if you die, you little bitch. The only reason why I am so invested in your little stupid love life is because your relationship with Brent is the only thing this family can be proud of you!"

I never expect anything from her. Not even a single thing. But her choices of words always gets to me.

"Now that you've lost the one last thing that makes you part of this family, it will be very easy for us to cut you off."

Kumunot ang noo ko sa sinabi niya. The only thing that ties me with them is Brent?

"How dare you tell me that! Kung ganoon din naman ang basehan natin, baka lang po nakakalimutan mo na mas nauna ako sa buhay ng daddy ko kesa sa inyo ng anak mo! Me, my mom, and my dad is the family!"

"But that's not the case now, is it? Your mom's dead, your dad is now married to me. This is my family now, and not yours!"

I tried so hard not to let a single drop of tear fall. She's not worth that.

"That's enough, Michelle."

Sabay kami ng stepmother ko na napatingin sa may hagdanan nang madinig ang boses ng daddy ko.

"Eli, I didn't expect you to arrive this early.

"Well, it's not like I have anything to do..."

I waited for his at the bottom of the stairs and kissed his cheeks.

"What does she mean when she said that Brent is the only thing that connects me with "her" family, dad?"

Agad na tanong ko. I just can't get it out of my mind. I mean, she could be bluffing, but there's this tiny voice inside me that says that she might be telling the truth.

"It's just that we were all hoping that you both would get married. And it would have been very beneficial for our business, anak."

Kumunot ang noo ko. Beneficial?

"So, I was an investment plan? We were an investment plan?"

"Anak, listen. Our business isn't doing well. We may declare bankruptcy in just a few years, and Brent's family could help us with that."

Hinawakan niya ako sa magkabilang balikat at marahan na nag-paliwanag.

"Oh, jesus, Shaun. Just tell her straight. Huwag ka na mag-paligoy ligoy."

"Tell me what!?"

Bumuntong hininga si dad bago ako hawakan sa braso at bahagyang ilayo sa asawa niya.

"Anak, we just found out that your tita Michelle is pregnant with twins. And as you know, your sister is now in high school. She's studying at your old school, an international school. And with the business being slow, money is really tight right now..."