eighteen

Alex pov

the day went on, Victor told me of all the places he had been after he left. he thinks it's all nothing special, but anywhere outside this town is special to me. he was smart enough to make it on his own at such a young age. he had seen concerts, worked in restaurants, restaurants you wouldn't even imagine being outside such a small town. But god, all the foods he talked about, it made me want each and every one of them.
he also told me about some of the people he had met. they were people without big names, but he said he likes it that way, knowing people that not many people would know. he said he was never interested in meeting famous or wealthy people, but rather the people on the side of the street who just need a dollar to get a meal. he had met a hippie woman that taught him to listen to the ocean when he needed advice, because just like the trees, the ocean was a magical thing. he has spent a few weeks with her and learned a lot about a "natural existence".
Damon made Victor out to be such a bad guy... but he was so wonderful and kind. his hair was like black silk and he had a smile to die for, and those eyes...those gorgeous, light, sea green green eyes. if my parents were looking to find a kid better than me, they sure hit the jackpot.

around 10:30pm, he told me about a kid named Chase. he had met him up north. he told me how he was 17, and Chase was 14, and how Victor wanted to protect him all he could. Chase had brown, messy skater hair that was hardly ever straight. piercing blue eyes, and a Bolivian complexion. skinny, small, frail, sensitive.
"he had reminded me of you, Alex. he was something no one cared about... no one but me."
I was curled up, practically on top of him on he couch. we were both laying down and there was a blanket over us. he had music playing, low enough so we could talk without a problem.
"he was dependent too. small in stature. hesitated with most of what he ever wanted to do. I liked it though, it made me feel like I had a purpose. taking care of someone that needed me."
"he didn't have a family..?"
"if he did, I had no clue about it."
I was silent. I had no idea what to say at this point. he was so much more different than I anticipated.

I played with the hem of his shirt and smiled just enough for him to notice.
"you're not bad y'know.."
I was quiet. it was kind of embarrassing to admit, but it was true.
he moved his fingers through my hair
"and what makes you think that?"
"you're being kind...and gentle."
"only to the people I care about."
I looked up at him a little confused
he still cared about me?
"if you cared, why did you call me all those things? that night you came to our house... why were you so mean? you called me..a pathetic bitch..."
he doesn't really care...
"it was all for show, Alex. I hate that guy."
a part of me wanted to run.
he's fucking lying right to my face, he doesn't care about me.

"why are you crying?" he asked
crying? shit...
"I-I'm sorry I know I'm annoying I cry so much."
I sat up and backed away to the other side of the couch.
"hey...no come here."
he took my hand, "what's wrong."
"this is all a joke isn't it, you don't really care, no one in my family could ever care about me."
he wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me back into his lap.
"things are different now...that boyfriend of yours? he can't care like I do. he can't love you like I do."
"love?"
"the love of family? the bitch can't comprehend how to give that back to you. but I can because I'm family."
"so this is just a competition to you?"
i couldn't understand. he was just playing a game.
"you're the one who said that I'm pretty great"
he smirked

I couldn't argue that. and I felt at home in his arms. even if he was a little hostile, it was okay.
I clung to him. he ran his fingers through my hair and chuckled.
"you don't need to worry flower boy"
I smiled some
I do love flowers..