7

Miranda sat in the attendings' lounge with her phone in her hand. She had been calling and texting Ben for 3 days straight and not one time did he respond. She didn't understand what was happening with him...with them. She wondered if he felt bad for almost kissing her the other day. She guessed any married man would. He was probably distancing himself from her.

"Hey, what's wrong with you?" Alex asked walking into the attendings lounge. "Going through another breakup?"

"A breakup. What breakup?" Arizona questioned.

"I'm not and it's my business." She responded getting up and grabbing her purse.

On her way out the door, Miranda stopped, hearing her name being called. Looking down the hallway she saw Ben rushing towards her.

"Hey."

"Benjamin Warren," Miranda said curtly, upset with him for not responding to her.

"Can I take you to dinner in an hour or so?"

"You're lucky I'm off of work. Where are we eating at?"

"Anywhere you want."

"The Barrel," Miranda said quickly. It was a place that she and Ben had been to several times. He introduced it to her for their 5th date.

"Good pick. Nobody really knows about that place. I'll pick you up in an hour. Be ready."

"Since when have I not been ready?"

"Really Miranda? How about that time when‐-"

"Ok, ok. Just go. I'll be ready." She laughed.

"Alright then." He chuckled, walking away.

An hour later Ben sat outside of Miranda's house waiting for her to come out. He hated that this would ultimately be their last time hanging with each other. He needed to tell her that they couldn't anymore and it was killing him. He tried distancing himself from her for three days and he was miserable.

When Miranda walked outside he hurriedly got out and opened her door.

"Hey, you look nice." He smiled, looking her up and down in her low-cut blue top and fitted jeans.

"Hey, and thanks. I was beginning to think you were avoiding me or something." Miranda laughed a little. She really wanted to know why he ignored her for three days.

"I had a lot going on." He responded when he got back in the car.

"Is everything ok?"

"No, but I don't want to talk about that now. We will talk about it later."

"Ok."

As they arrived at the restaurant, Miranda noticed the sign announcing Karaoke Night. "When did they start doing this?" she asked Ben.

"I think it's a new trial thing, probably just to get more business," Ben replied as they found a table and settled in.

They ordered their food and enjoyed listening to various people sing on stage.

"You going up there?" Ben asked jokingly.

"As a matter of fact, I am." Miranda smiled, drinking the rest of her drink and standing up.

Ben eye's widened, he did not expect her to say yes.

"Wish me luck," Miranda told him.

"You don't need it. You have a beautiful voice." He said seriously, reaching out to rub her hand.

"Thanks." She grinned before walking over and talking to the DJ.

After her performance, Miranda returned to their table to a round of applause. As she sat down, a couple of men at nearby tables were sending her drinks and trying to catch her eye. Ben's expression darkened slightly, though he tried to hide it behind a forced smile.