Confused Feelings

Nathalie stares into the black Paris night through the window of the cab. Landing in Paris was somewhat a relief for her. After the agonizing flight, she wanted nothing more than to return home, and into the comfort of her own bed. The extensive flight and major time difference have completely worn her out.

Gabriel had given her the next three days off. And she was glad he did. She definitely needs the time to rest and clear her mind.

Placide was there to pick them up, but Nathalie declined the ride, feeling she wouldn't be able to contain her sorrow for much longer.

Now in the cab, she finally allows the tears that have been threatening to leave her eyes all day, roll down her cheeks. She cries bitterly recalling their moments together and passionate encounters. Her mind is trying to desperately understand the pain that has taken over her since the moment she knew everything was over.

She never expected this to hurt so much. This without doubt has been the most painful breakup she has ever experienced from a relationship that never existed.

———

When the cab comes to a stop in front of her apartment building, Nathalie quickly dries her tears away and exits the cab.

The warmth of her apartment, and the smell of food invade her the moment she walks in. She finds her sister in the small kitchen of their shared apartment preparing a simple dinner.

"Nathalie ... welcome home", says Camille as she notices her sister has arrived.

"Hello Camille. I didn't expect for you to be up when I returned."

"It's not too late, besides I didn't want to go to bed until you had arrived. Are you hungry?" Asks Camille, motioning for Nathalie to have a seat at the small dining table.

"Umm, yes thank you."

Nathalie sets her things down and washes her hands. When she takes a seat, Camille places a bowl of warm soup in front of her. A loaf of sliced bread rests in the middle of the table, and Nathalie takes a piece.

"So, how was the trip?" Asks the woman as she also takes a seat at the table.

"It was fine, we were working for the most part and had various meetings."

Camille quickly notices Nathalie's overly quiet demeanor. It's not that Nathalie is a talkative person, because she isn't, but something seems off about her. It's almost as if her sister were ... sad.

Nathalie is a serious and almost inexpressive person, this is why her sad demeanor is so obvious to her. Something is definitely off about her.

"Is everything okay Nathalie?"

Camille's question startles her. She didn't expect for her current emotions to seem so obvious. But she feels she can't tell her anything at the moment. She doesn't have the energy, and she frankly isn't sure how her sister would react if she reveals she slept with her boss in New York.

"Yes ... yes, everything's fine", Nathalie quickly answers.

"Are you sure? Because you seem-"

But, Camille's husband enters the dining area, stopping the woman from asking her any more questions.

"Hello Nathalie. I'm glad you've arrived home safely." Greets the man as he takes a seat at the table.

"Thank you Remy."

Nathalie's sister and brother-in-law had been living with her for the past year. Remy had a job transfer a few months after Camille and him married. The couple had trouble finding an apartment in the specific area of Paris where Remy's job is located.