Chapter 3

That night, I went back to my house to move my possessions. I didn't care much about most of the things I owned- all I really needed were my weapons. The barracks had beds and weapon racks.

In the end, I decided to bring only my clothes and a book that held my family history. It had records of the skills of every member of my bloodline since my ancestors joined the Coven. That'll be useful. I can figure out exactly what my skill can do, and how to perform it efficiently.

Witches didn't usually reproduce like normal humans. Some adults, the ones stupid enough to want kids, created children with a complicated spell. The children created were always daughters. The benefit of this was that pregnancy and childbirth weren't necessary.

Others didn't care about this, and chose to reproduce normally with men that they had fallen in love with. If they gave birth to a son, the man would raise him, while daughters were always raised by their mothers. Men were not allowed in the Coven, because the whole purpose was to provide a refuge for women only, whether they had been born as women or not.

I didn't know many spells yet, and I never used the ones I did know. I could make people shut up, but it involved severely cutting up their mouth, and I could make things float. I'd never had a reason to use either of those spells.

It was getting dark, and the sky was streaked with thick gray clouds. I wonder who's in The Cave right now. I wonder if anyone's died yet. I shook myself. Stop thinking about that. You'll find out tomorrow. And besides, there's nothing you can do.

When I reached the barracks, General Avery was busy ranking Skye. Skye explained that she could change the properties of air. That... could be useful. But I kind of doubt it will help her much. She likely won't live long.

"Well... you could probably have done better in a different position, but I won't question the Queens," General Avery said uncomfortably. "I'll put you in the infantry. Here's a key to your room. You'll be sharing it with Trey and Sophie."

I flinched. "What? We have roommates?"

The General laughed, tossing me another key. "Of course. You don't think we have enough space to give each person their own room, do you? What are you, some kind of arrogant brat?"

I bowed my head in apology. "Sorry. Which room is it?"

"Look at your key," General Avery spat. "Idiot..."

The silver metal key had the number 147 on it. I found my room on the first floor and unlocked the door.

Sophie and Skye were both already there. One wall was covered by a weapons rack, and I put my sword on it. I always kept my knife on me.

There were two bedsteads. One was a bunk bed, and the other only held one person. Skye had taken the single bed, and Sophie was on the top bunk. Sighing, I shoved my book under the bottom bunk and sat down, my head hitting Sophie's bed.

"Sorry about that. We can switch beds if you want." Sophie leaned over to look at me.

"It's fine. I'll be careful." There was a small pile of clothes on my bed, too. It was my new army uniform.

"Okay. You should put on your uniform."

"Right." My uniform consisted of black pants, a black shirt, and a blood-red coat. My roommates turned away as I changed, shoving my old clothes under the bed. When I was done, I asked, "Who else made it out?"

"Everyone, so far," Skye told me. "Mia's in the cave right now. Olive hasn't gone yet. All the rest of us are infantry, except Charlotte and Shay."

"Oh," I said. I didn't elaborate. The silence echoed in the small, cramped room, and I was about to say something else, but Skye beat me to it.