Chapter 22

I woke up before dawn, and at first I was relieved that I wouldn't have to hear the earsplitting sound of the bell. Then I remembered that I was the General now. It was my job to ring the bell and call the daily meeting. What will I even say? Addressing the entire army... not like there are many of us left anyway.

I still had about half an hour before dawn, though. I began planning out today's training session in my head, choosing the moves I would teach. I had gone on a recruitment mission soon after being released from the hospital, and now I had to train Catherine and two other young women.

It hadn't been easy to bring them here without getting us all killed. I'd had to set our pursuers on fire so that we could get back to the alley where Allison was waiting. But they were here now. If we could keep recruiting and training people, it would hopefully keep our army a reasonable size.

I was deciding which types of blocks the trainees should learn and adding them to my training schedule. Suddenly, someone snatched my papers out of my hands. I glanced up to see Sophie laughing in the bed above mine.

I sighed, reminding myself not to yell at her. "Can I have that back? I'm trying to create a training schedule."

Sophie handed my papers back to me, and I sat down and got back to work. She sighed. "Sorry for taking your papers. Do you have a moment? I just want to show you something."

"It's the middle of a war, Sophie! I don't really have a moment. I don't have time to go look at things." I didn't look at her, bending my head over my work.

"Well, is it a battle day?"

"No." I hadn't led the army into battle yet. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. If I sent my army to fight, some of them would die and it would be my fault. I didn't think I could deal with that sort of guilt. "No, it's another training day."

"Well, why don't you call the meeting, tell them it's a training day, and then come meet me? Of course the war's more important than anything else, but you basically have today off."

I set my work aside. "Well, I do have to get some training in, teach my recruits, finish the training schedule, and work up the nerve to lead the army into battle. But you know what, I could use a break. I'll meet you outside the barracks right after the meeting."

She smiled. "Great! I'll see you then." She flipped down from her bed again, her long black hair cascading around her shoulders. She tied it into a high ponytail and got her dagger from the weapons rack.

I took my sword and clipped it to my belt. As I was leaving the room, I noticed that Skye's bed hadn't been touched since she had died. The covers were still just as messy as they had been on that fateful day when we first met Amari.

I could have died on that day too. If it weren't for Princess Reina, I would have. But I didn't. I have to make the most of whatever time I have left. I don't think it's possible for me to enjoy it, but I should at least do something useful. And maybe someday I'll be happy again. Reilyn is, so I know it can happen.

I left the room and headed for the staircase. I took the stairs three at a time. It was almost dawn already, and I didn't want to keep the army waiting. Some of them were probably already up and standing around in the courtyard, watching the balcony and wondering when I'd turn up.

In fact, there was no one in the courtyard. I picked up the mallet and struck the bell, and people started streaming out of the barracks. All of them were staring at me, their eyes stabbing into me like spears.

I started talking before I could get too nervous. "Today is set aside for training. I want all of you to participate in some form of training before you're free to go. I'm ordering all of you to train seriously at least once a week. Also, I have another announcement.