Chapter 6

I sat down on a rock, watching the Coven. Some of them went to bed, but most of the adults stayed out until well past nightfall, training and the like.

As darkness gathered in the sky and the stars rose, the lights went out in house after house. I took out my sword and fingered the rough crystal handle. It's lonely up here. But preferable to sharing a room with two other people.

Do I even have to go back? Couldn't I just run away? They wouldn't miss one soldier, I don't think. General Avery never took roll call or anything.

Don't I have some kind of obligation to stay and help, though? I did tell Sophie that it was better for us to be here, where we can be treated as people instead of executed for our abilities... but there's a third option, isn't there? I could just find a quiet cave out here and become a hermit. I'd never have to kill- not humans anyway, but food is different.

If I lived alone, I'd never have any responsibilities. I could spend all my time doing exactly what I want, when I want to do it. I wouldn't have to worry about anything except self-protection.

It would be an easy life, no doubt about it. But would it even be worth living? It seems rather lonely and boring. What would I even do? I'd have nothing to train for. I'd eat and sleep and kill stuff, over and over, and that's about it. I don't think I could do that. Besides, I'd miss my mom. I'd miss the company of others, even though being in their presence is exhausting.

No, I don't think I'll run away. I'll stay with the Coven. But for now, it's nice to just be alone. I slid down off the rock and stretched out on the ground, gazing up at the star-strewn sky.

So many stars up there... It looks like the ground after a light snow. Man, I hate snow. So cold and wet and miserable. Summer's better, even though the heat kills half the plants. It's just so much more pleasant when everything feels like an oven, even at night. It helps me think better.

I was standing on a dark, quiet plain. Tall stalks of brown grass waved gently around me, but there was no wind. I strained my eyes to see farther, but it was just too dark. There were no visible light sources.

Suddenly, something wrapped itself around my waist. My flesh tore as sharp spikes pierced me, and my feet left the ground. A thick, snake-like thing with dull gold scales was wrapped around me. The end of the snake was shrouded in darkness.

My blood splattered on the ground as I was yanked into the air. The spikes ground against my bones, tearing through my midsection. I gritted my teeth and grabbed the snake-thing, and it jerked convulsively. I let go just as all the lights went out.

I spun through darkness, stars flashing and whirling in my field of vision. I saw a glimpse of the moon, but the next second it was gone. Then the snake-thing uncurled, and I fell to the ground.

I was laying on a floor of jagged rock. I reached for my sword, but it wasn't there. Neither was my knife. I glanced around frantically for a weapon, but there was nothing within reach.

I was in a cave, the damp walls illuminated by flickering blue fire. The mouth of the cave was edged with stalagmites and stalactites, leaving a narrow opening between the sharp spikes. Outside, harsh orange light came from a pool of bubbling orange lava.

I tried to stand up, but my legs weren't working properly. Blood was starting to pool under me, soaking my hands in thick, sticky red liquid. I shook my hands furiously, but the blood was stuck to them. More blood poured down from the ceiling, dripping slowly onto the floor.

The light from the lava went out as a huge shadow blocked the door. Eyes as bright blue as the fire stared into mine as the gold dragon's immense mouth opened, revealing long, bloodstained teeth. Then the teeth closed around my head.