3. The First Letter

*Purely Fictional Story*

AN: Chapter 2 was published aana notification WP la varala. Please read that chapter before you read this one!

__________________

Since that most anticipated telephone call happened, it had been bustling at Ananth and Sadhana's houses. Sadhana and family were back in Delhi - them being familiar with that place, it was easier for them to arrange for things though the wedding was going to happen in Madras in a month's time.

It was Murali who had requested Radha and Ananth if the wedding could happen that soon. Murali was expecting a transfer and was not sure where he would be posted next. He had assured Radha that he would take care of the arrangements and that she need not stress about it. He had of course checked with the bride and groom separately if they were ready for the wedding - and thankfully for Murali, both had said they would leave it to the elders to decide.

Considering Ananth would need to take off from work for the wedding, he had returned back to the town that he stayed in at Madhya Pradesh immediately after that first visit to Sadhana's house. His mother was a strong and outgoing lady and had assured him that she would take care of the wedding preparations from their side. In any case, Ananth's childhood friends who stayed close by had immediately signed up to help their Radha amma in Ananth's absence. If not for the syllabus that he needed to cover and the examination papers that he needed to set, Ananth would have preferred to stay back in Madras and help his mother. Alas, duty demanded his presence.

Time flew and kept Sadhana very busy, mostly thanks to Sandhya's detailed to-do-list. Kanjeevaram sarees were purchased, blouses were given for stitching with different embroidery patterns chosen for each ritual, all combinations of curd, maavu-s, paal were applied on Sadhana on a regular basis as part of her grooming sessions. In all this, especially because of the level of pampering that Sadhana was given by her parents, it became all the more difficult for her to think about leaving their home and going elsewhere.

And then for comfort, she would immediately tell herself that she was after all going to be with Ananth, the macho man who had been occupying her every living moment. Sadhana had decided to wait till after marriage to figure out if she wanted to work or if she wanted to study further. For now, her concentration was only on her and the wedding. And on her dashing groom.

It was around two weeks before their wedding that Murali came home one evening with a smile. "Mapla office ku en name la letter pottrukaaru. Indha nee padi Sadhana" Sadhana did not want to seem overly eager and maintained her poise as she collected the letter and walked extra slowly to her room. "Evalo nadipu paa indha ponnu" Sandhya commented to Murali, seeing Sadhana impatiently yet taking her own time to walk to her room. Chuckling, Murali responded "Paavam pasanga. Maplai ku phone booth la poi pesuradhu vida ivaluku letter ezhudhanum nu aasai pola. Namma ezhudhikaadha letters a sollu? Oru naal namma letters a eduthu paakanum" which earned him a disinterested look from Sandhya, who pulled him up to prune the wedding guest list.

Once inside her room, Sadhana shut the door and laid on the bed, her small hands anxiously yet carefully tearing open the letter.

Dear Murali Sir,

Hope you are fine. Ma'am a kettadha sollunga.

I have been spending most of my time at the University to make up for the time I will be away. So phone booth thedi poi call panna mudila. It seemed easier to post a letter from the University premises.

Amma sonnanga that you offered to buy furniture and vessels for our house. Sir, please do not mistake me - idhellam vendame. I want to be able to provide for Sadhana by myself. I will not stop you from doing what you want for her, but Sir, no formalities relating to the wedding please.