Chapter 1

Gabriel placed his hand on Nathalie's shoulder, gently waking her up. She opened her eyes, still drowsy, and looked at him.
He smiled.
Those gray eyes looking at her with such fondness that she could almost pretend that everything was okay.

"We're here," He tells her.

She looks out the window, seeing the bright sun shining with all its might. She thinks that maybe this was indeed the best thing they could do, even if they've left Adrien behind in Paris.

"Here, let me help you up." He says, as he extends his hands, so she could hold on to them. She gives him a weak smile, and then a
"Thank you."

As they get out of the train with their luggage in hand, they wait for the cab to arrive. Gabriel looks at her, and he can't ignore that sad aura in her that makes him want to cradle her into his arms to try and convince her that everything will be alright. He knows that she feels awful for disappointing Adrien.
He knows Adrien is extremely disappointed in them, but leaving him in Paris was their only option. He hopes his son is able to forgive them one day, even though he sees that day so far away from them.

———
Remembering the look of horror on Cat Noir's face makes Gabriel's heart sink all over again.

After their battle with Ladybug and Cat Noir, Hawk Moth had left with Mayura in his arms, and into an alleyway. They both detransformed, thinking that they were safe from prying eyes, but when Gabriel looked up, there he saw Cat Noir staring at them in horror and disbelief.

He'd thought Cat Noir would confront them, but he oddly turned the other direction and disappeared. Gabriel was confused, why didn't the hero had not confront them immediately?

It took enough of his willpower to take Nathalie and flee home.

At the mansion Gabriel and Nathalie entered the atelier, and found Adrien waiting for them with fiery eyes. Adrien revealed to them that he knew about their alter egos, and that he was the superhero they had been fighting all along. Gabriel could do nothing, but fall to his knees, and ask for forgiveness. Forgiveness that he knew he did not deserve. He felt terrible knowing that he had been fighting his son all this time. Gabriel and Nathalie had no other option, but to hand over the butterfly and peacock miraculous to Adrien.

Adrien wanted nothing to do with them, and out of mercy they'd decided to leave him alone.

That's how they had ended up many miles away from Paris, and with nothing but each other's company to keep.

The cab arrived at the train station, and Gabriel quickly opened the door for her, allowing her to get inside.

They say nothing the entire 30 minutes it takes to arrive at their destination. When they finally arrive, Gabriel helps Nathalie out of the cab after retrieving their luggage.

He rented a lovely cottage that is mainly isolated, safe for the small market and pharmacy nearby.
The cottage is small but cozy.

There's a small living room with a sofa and a recliner, there's also a coffee table, and a small chimney. The kitchen is only a few steps away, it has everything they might need minus food. There's one bedroom and one bathroom.

As Nathalie takes a seat in the recliner, Gabriel takes their luggage into the bedroom. When he comes back, he finds her with her eyes closed, and a tear struggling to fall down her left cheek.

"I'm sorry," He whispers.

She opens her eyes, and just stares at him for a bit before shaking her head.
"You don't have to apologize to me, I'm equally guilty for this mess."
He sits on the sofa and she stands to immediately sit next to him, and lean herself against his chest. He buries his nose into her hair, and she does nothing else but snuggle into his chest.

Their eyes close in complete exhaustion as they let sleep wash away their guilt.

———

It's evening when they finally wake. Nathalie's not sure who woke first, but she is the first to speak.

"Are you hungry?" She asks
He looks over at the clock on the wall, and realizes how late it actually is, and how they haven't eaten anything since they left Paris.
"Yes." He responds.
"Well there isn't any food here, but we can go to the mini market just around the corner."

When they arrive at the market, they stock their basket with enough groceries for them to be able to avoid coming back soon. Gabriel grabs a bottle of wine, which doesn't seem to please Nathalie too much.
"Really?" She questions, looking at him with dissatisfaction.
"What? You never know when we might need it," He says with a small smirk on his face.
She just shakes her head in disapproval, but says nothing more.

They arrive back at the cottage, save the groceries, and begin to prepare dinner.

Nathalie stems broccoli and prepares some mashed potatoes, while Gabriel prepares the chicken.

They eat in silence, too afraid to speak about the situation they're really in. They occasionally look at each, and when their eyes meet they quickly look away. It's hard for both of them, but they know it's harder for the boy they've left back home.

———

Gabriel brushes his teeth in the bathroom, and Nathalie undoes her bun, while sitting on the bed. When Gabriel exits the bathroom, she is already lying down with her back on the mattress. He lies down next to her, and turns the lamp off. It's July and it's too hot for any of them to use a blanket, so they just lie in the dark with their eyes stuck on the ceiling. After a few minutes he breaks the silence and says,

"Thank you for being here with me Nathalie, I appreciate everything you've done for me and my family." She says nothing, and only manages to mouth the words
'I love you.'