Chapter 10

"Father?" Adrien calls from a distance.

Gabriel immediately gets to his feet as he hears his son's voice.
He was waiting for him in the hospital's waiting room after he gave him the address of their location, and asked him to meet him there.
Gabriel strides towards him, glad to see him after so many months apart from each other, but also nervous because of all the explaining he'll soon have to do.
He glances behind him and realizes Placide is there just a few steps close by.

———

They finally meet each other, and Gabriel can't help but tightly embrace his son.
"Oh, Adrien, I'm so glad to see you. I've missed you." He whispers as he snuggles his son's blonde hair.
Adrien is more than surprised by Gabriel's attentiveness, but he can't help but hug him back.

"Father, what's happened?" He asks over Gabriel's shoulder. "What are you doing here at this hospital, and where's Nathalie?" Adrien can't hide the worry in his voice.

"Nathalie is okay, you don't have to worry about her." He says finally letting go of his son.
"Then what are you doing here, what's going on father?" Adrien now sounds so desperate for answers.

Gabriel takes a deep breath before answering,
"Look, I know we have a lot to talk about, but this isn't the best place to do that." He says while looking around to see if anybody might be watching them.
Gabriel guides Adrien towards some chairs so they can take a seat, attempting to be as far away as possible from any prying ears. As soon as they sit down, Gabriel begins talking to Adrien, trying his best to explain the situation.

"Adrien, I know I owe you an explanation for what happened in Paris... about what you discovered about me, and what I was doing." He's ashamed and there's regret in his voice as he speaks to his son.
"I will give you all the explanations you deserve as soon as we're able to leave this place."
Adrien simply gives his father a puzzled look.
"Nathalie..." Gabriel continues, "she's here in this hospital, she's currently admitted."
"What!" Adrien almost shouts.
"What's wrong with her, don't tell me it has to do with the dizzy spells all over again?"
"Adrien... Adrien it's nothing regarding that," Gabriel responds trying to get his son to calm down, "thankfully that has nothing to do with why Nathalie is here right now."
Adrien is more confused than ever.
"Father, what's going on...?"
Gabriel takes a deep breath and brings his eyes to a point on the floor, and finally gathers the courage to tell his son about Nathalie's state.
"Nathalie....Nathalie's pregnant, Adrien."

———

It's a joke, his father must be joking, but his father never jokes, and he looks very serious right now even though he isn't looking at him.

"Pregnant?" Adrien can't hide the surprise in his voice.
"Yes." Gabriel replies with slight uneasiness.
"Uh...How?" Adrien asks very innocently.
Gabriel finally looks up at his son and shoots him a curious look and a very sharp eyebrow.
"I mean... I mean.... I...uh...I'm shocked that's all, you really caught me off guard with this news."
Gabriel simply looks at his son for a bit longer, maybe he's searching for judgment, but all he finds is genuine surprise in the boy's face.

———

"Are you...uh..." Adrien stumbles through his words, too afraid to ask the obvious question.
Gabriel knows what his son is trying to ask, so he just responds trying his best to make the situation less awkward.
"Yes, Adrien, I am the father of Nathalie's baby." Gabriel's face flushes red with slight embarrassment.
"Are you two in a relationship?"
"No." He searches his son's face looking for a hint of his thoughts. This time he seems to find genuine confusion.
"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, it was just so hard for me to do so." Gabriel moves his gaze to the floor again, this time out of regret.