Chapter 9

It's still dark out when Gabriel awakes on the sofa in the living room.

He's got guilt curdling at the pit of his stomach as he recalls the argument he and Nathalie had the night before. He realizes how Nathalie could've gotten to the conclusion that he was just trying to use her. Only he's stupid enough to ask her if she loves him after she stopped him from continuing what he had started. It's no damn surprise she would think that.

What he doesn't quite know yet is if Nathalie is actually in love with him. The words she said that night ring in his head like an alarm clock day by day.

"I love you, Gabriel."

She said those words loud and clear. They didn't register right away because his mind was so under her spell and under the alcohol, but once sobriety entered his system that's all his mind could think of.

———

Nathalie's done so much for him, more than he deserves or anticipated, she's been with him during his hardest times. She's risked her life for him, for goodness sake! She has to love him. She has to at least feel something for him, something beyond friendship. He thinks that only a person who loves someone so much would do something like that. He's kissed her without being drunk, and each time she's reciprocated. Her kisses are so soft and tender. Her blue eyes carry so much love and warmth, and her touch is always so gentle and pleasant.

Gabriel now realizes that Nathalie is clearly and obviously in love with him. He realizes he's been a complete idiot in many aspects of their relationship. The thought of Nathalie actually being in love with him takes his breath away, and leaves him thinking about his own feelings, and what exactly he feels for her.

Gabriel has always viewed Nathalie as his friend and a person he can trust blindly, but he never viewed her in a romantic form, at least not when he was trying to bring back his wife. Now, she's all he thinks about. Days and nights fill his brain with their encounter months ago, her sweetness and kindness fill his heart each day. And now their unborn son makes his heart fill with joy and warmth already.

He's clearly got a physical attraction towards her, but is he in love?

"Yes." He says out loud.

Gabriel's in love with her, he doesn't know why it took him so long to admit it or even realize it. He smiles at the thought of loving her, but he's afraid that he's ruined everything by being so oblivious and foolish.

———

Gabriel carefully enters the bedroom, and finds Nathalie still asleep. She's on her side and her baby bump rests so neatly in front of her. He watches her for a while, admiring her beauty and gracefulness.

He finally enters the bathroom to tidy himself up for the day. He thinks about different ways that he can confess his feelings to her, and tell her that he actually wants them to be a family, and tell her that he loves her. Gabriel now knows that he loves her, and he hopes that she can accept him and forgive him.

———

When he finally exits the bathroom he finds Nathalie sitting at the edge of the bed slouched over her knees.

"What's wrong?" He asks, a little startled by the view.
She doesn't respond at first, so he just stares at her with concern, as fear begins to invade his system.
"Nathalie! Are you okay!?" He says louder this time.
"I don't know, " she groans, "My stomach really hurts, I...I think something's wrong."
Her voice is so trembly as she speaks.
He hurries to her, and kneels in front of her. His heart starts to beat very quickly as he finally meets her gaze. Her face is so pale, and drained of color.
"What do you feel?" He asks now, very frightened.
"I'm having really terrible cramps, and I feel lots of pressure on my lower abdomen." She tells him with a hoarse and shaky voice.
"What? When did this start!?" He asks.
"I don't know, I was asleep," She breathes, "...and the pain woke me up." Her knuckles are white as she clenches on the sheets of the mattress.
"We have to go to the hospital right away! This can't be normal."

———

As Gabriel helps Nathalie to her feet they both see blood streaming down her leg. They're horrified by the view, and this just sends Nathalie through a panic.

"Gabriel, Oh my goodness, Gabriel! Something is definitely wrong!" She cries out. Tears begin to stream down her face, as she tightly holds onto him.

"Nathalie please you have to calm down, please...." He tries to reassure her, but the truth is that he's as petrified as she is.
"This can't be happening, my baby, my baby!" She sobs out loud as he sits her back down, and quickly grabs his cellphone to call for an ambulance.

———

Finally at the hospital Nathalie is wheeled away to a room, and Gabriel is told to wait in the waiting room.

Hours go by without him having any information about what's going on with Nathalie or his son. He can't do anything, but pray and hope that Nathalie and the baby are okay.

———

Nathalie's doctor finally comes to him to give him information. Gabriel assumes he was called by the hospital to attend to his patient.

"Mr. Agreste..." the doctor calls out.
Gabriel swiftly turns to him and hurries towards him,
"Doctor, how are Nathalie and my son doing? What happened? Why was she bleeding like that? What caused this?" Gabriel desperately asks.
"Please, Mr. Agreste, one question at a time." The doctor says trying to get him to calm down a little.
"Nathalie and the baby are doing fine." As soon as he hears those words, Gabriel feels instant relief.

The doctor proceeds to explain the situation,
"What happened was that Nathalie was going into preterm labor, but thankfully we were able to stop it, since she is only 20 weeks along, but she'll have to be in observation for a few days."

"Preterm labor? What is that?" Gabriel asks with a confused look on his face.
"Preterm labor is the process the body goes through to give birth to the baby, when it's not time yet or when it happens too early, but like I just mentioned, we were able to stop it by putting a cervical stitch."

Gabriel thanks the doctor, and he's then told by a nurse that he's allowed to finally see Nathalie.

———

Gabriel enters the room, and finds Nathalie with her eyes closed and her hands resting on her baby bump. She looks exhausted, but she does look much better from a few hours ago.

She slowly opens her eyes as she hears the door click, and finds Gabriel's shiny gray eyes. Tears fill her eyes, and they quickly begin to fall as soon as their eyes meet.
"How are you feeling?" He whispers.
She doesn't respond and simply shakes her head, as she brings her hands to her cheeks to attempt to wipe the tears away. She's in shock and it's so hard for her to process everything.
Gabriel can't help, but feel guilty for this.
"I can't believe this happened." She finally says through sobs.
"It's all over now, my dear, our baby is okay, and you are too. Please, don't cry anymore." He says as he attempts to reassure her as he takes her hands to gently soothe them.

Nathalie simply cries harder, her emotions are all over the place, and she just can't help it.
Gabriel softly sits at the edge of the bed, as he takes her head and allows it to rest on his shoulder as he gently strokes her hair and back.

"Oh, Nathalie, I love you so much." He says as he places a soft kiss to the top of her head.

———

They stay like that for a long time.

She's asleep so he gently lies her down, so she can rest properly. He takes a seat on the armchair beside the bed, and watches her sleep. Her cheeks still have the outlines of her tears, and that just causes his own tears to start to fall.

———

Hours go by and Gabriel's phone suddenly chimes.

It's a message from Adrien.

"I'm here at the cottage, but there doesn't seem to be anyone here, I've been trying to call Nathalie, but she won't pick up. Is everything alright?"