Things just got worse

*the next day*

"Wait, your mom knows," Colby said nervously, his voice trembling slightly.

"Yes, she saw you shapeshift," I sighed, closing my eyes as the weight of the situation settled on my shoulders.

"How did she take it?" he asked, his brow furrowed with concern.

"Surprisingly better than I thought she would," I answered, a hint of relief in my voice.

"Well, it's not going to be as stressful going to your house now that she knows," Colby said, his expression brightening as he spoke.

Suddenly, Phoebe approached us, her curious gaze darting between us. "Knows what?" she asked, her eyebrows raised in confusion.

I felt my heart race as I scrambled to come up with a good excuse. "Oh, um, she knows about the party I'm planning," I said, my voice wavering slightly.

"Who's party?" Phoebe inquired, her head tilting to the side.

"My mom's party... it's her birthday," I said, the lie slipping out of my mouth with a nervous chuckle.

"Oh, sweet! I wanna come," Phoebe exclaimed, her face lighting up with excitement.

"You can't... family only, sorry," I said, my stomach twisting with guilt as I denied her request.

"Oh, well... I've gotta get to class. Tell your mom I said happy birthday," Phoebe smiled, waving as she walked away.

Colby turned to me, a mischievous grin on his face. "I thought superheroes didn't lie," he teased, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

"I mean, I can tell Phoebe about your secret if you really want me to tell the truth," I retorted, a playful challenge in my voice.

We both burst into laughter.

The rest of the school day went by quickly, and when it was time to leave, I saw Colby waiting for me by my locker.

"Ready to go?" he said, smiling at me and grabbing my hand.

We decided to hang out at his house and work on some homework.

"Homework is so pointless," Colby groaned.

"I can't disagree with that," I said with a small laugh.

He rested his head on my shoulder and let out a sigh.

"You want me to do your homework for you, don't you?" I sighed in an annoyed tone.

"Please?" he said, smiling at me.

"Nope," I said with a laugh. "But I'll help you."

"Fine," he sighed.

"Hey, don't give me that attitude," I teased in a playful tone.

Colby gave me a mischievous look, and I instantly knew what he was about to do.

"Colby... don't even think about it," I said, warning him.

He then started tickling me, and I was completely defenseless.

"Colby... stop," I said, laughing.

"Someone's ticklish," he laughed, still tickling me.

"Okay... seriously, stop now," I said, still laughing.

He listened and stopped tickling me.

"You're so annoying," I laughed, playfully pushing him.

"You love me," he said, smirking at me.

"Do I?" I teased, kissing his cheek.

We spent the next hour working on homework. After that, I got a text from Phoebe.