Chapter Eleven

Charlie strained to keep her eyes open, exhaustion weighing heavily upon her as she listened to the heated exchange echoing through the cramped room. Her gaze flickered sideways to Jack, who leaned wearily against the wall, his expression etched with frustration. Beside her, Carter sat with his hands bound by metal handcuffs, his posture tense as he followed the argument unfolding before them.

"That was our only chance!" a female voice exclaimed, her tone laced with desperation.

"I thought we had it!" a male voice retorted, his words tinged with frustration.

"We couldn't just leave them in there to die!" another voice interjected, the urgency in their tone cutting through the tension. "It's not right!"

The air crackled with tension as the voices overlapped, each speaker adamant in their stance. Charlie closed her eyes briefly, a wave of weariness washing over her as she tried to make sense of their predicament. With each passing moment, the weight of uncertainty bore down upon them, leaving Charlie to wonder what fate awaited them in this confined space.

Carter glanced down at his bound wrists, a determined glint in his eyes as he assessed the handcuffs restraining him. With a resolute expression, he extended his arms outward, muscles flexing as he applied pressure. The metal strained against his strength before yielding with a sharp snap, freeing his hands from their constraints. Rising to his feet, Carter wasted no time, his movements swift and purposeful as he approached Charlie and Jack. In one fluid motion, he reached out and snapped the restraints binding them, the metal giving way easily under his determined grip. As the handcuffs fell away, Carter met their eyes with a reassuring nod, a silent promise of solidarity in the face of uncertainty.

Carter's voice rang out with determination as he declared their escape plan. With a sense of urgency, he strode toward the door, only to find it securely locked from the outside. His gaze swept over the frame, seeking any sign of weakness or vulnerability. As his eyes settled on the centre panel, he recognised the familiar configuration—a potential entry point, if only he could breach it.

With a grim determination, Carter clenched his fist, channelling all his strength into a single powerful blow. The metal groaned and protested as his fist punched through, leaving a jagged hole in its wake. Ignoring the searing pain that shot through his hand, well, his pain sensors, he reached inside and grasped the emergency override, activating it with a swift motion.

"Move," Carter ordered tersely.

As they stepped into the small room, a chilling silence enveloped them. Their footsteps echoed softly against the cold metal floor. Ahead, another door beckoned, promising a pathway to freedom. But as it opened, Carter's instincts kicked in. In an instant, he lunged forward, seizing the man by the throat and slamming him against the wall. The suddenness of the attack sent shockwaves through the room, and the man's cries for help echoed futilely in the space.

"Where are we?" Charlie demanded, her voice sharp with urgency. "And what's happening here?"

The man choked, his eyes darting nervously between Charlie and Carter. "Who... who are you?"

Carter released his grip, and the man dropped to his knees, gasping for air. With trembling hands, he pushed himself upright, his white cap somehow remaining on his head, he looked at them with anger in his eyes. Carter watched him closely and then stepped aside when Charlie came forward.

"We need assistance finding our crew," she explained, her tone urgent. "We were separated during the explosion."

The man's brow furrowed as he regarded Charlie. "Your crew? What ship are you from?"

Before Charlie could respond, Carter stepped in. "The Grafton," he replied firmly. "It's stationed in orbit around the station."

The man's expression shifted, and he leaned out of the doorway, his voice echoing down the corridor. "Hey! Are these the ones you're after?"