Chapter 13- Hemophilia

Layered echoes vibrated through the vein tunnels, making the rounded interior vibrate from the motion. It was then that everything suddenly became much wetter, the lactating inner walls secreting frequently. Both Chase and Everest were nearly painted entirely red as they traveled through the network, moving in the darkness.

"That encounter back there," Chase whispered, creeping low to the ground. "We were lucky to have that clump of meat nearby."

"We're just now getting lucky?" came his partner's sass-filled quick. "I thought we were lucky to even last this long in this... misshapen hell world."

Chase was going to reply only for his train of thoughts to be drowned away, the shepherd twitching as a dizzying feeling overcame him. The faint lingering of static fizzed in his ears, bubbling and crackling around his brain to an uncomfortable degree. His face twisted with disdain, shaking his head in a feeble attempt to throw off the odd feeling.

"Uh, Chase?" Everest raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you okay? You're making that weird face again."

"I'm... fine," the shepherd gasped, struggling to pull himself through the feeling.

An image appeared in his head, manifesting like a ghost within his mind; a rigid, crested shield-like object, shining like refined metal and glistening with vibrating waves. It was nothing more than a blurred shape, but the shiver of fear that went down his spine was unmistakable. He couldn't possibly understand where the image had come from, but it refused to leave his mind and every second it stayed only furthered his unease.

"Don't worry, sweetie," came the voice in his ear. "You're okay."

"Don't call me that," Chase muttered, flattening his ears.

"Call you what?" Everest said, giving him a confused look.

"Sweetie. Don't call me that."

"I... didn't?" the husky said quizzically, blinking with a puzzled expression. "Chase, I didn't even say anything."

"Yeah you did," Chase stopped, turning around to face her with narrowed eyes. "I just heard you in my ear."

"Chase, I don't know where you heard that from, but I honestly didn't say anything."

They stood confused for a few seconds, Chase scanning her up and down for any answers. The husky could only shrug, drawing a blank to the angelic voice the shepherd claimed to have heard. The whole damn hive was probably messing with his head, the only logical conclusion he could draw in his bewilderment. Muttering a quick apology to his companion, he continued forward on the bloodied path, his head bowed with troubled thoughts. Watching his every move, Everest tried to get a read on what was distressing him. Fearing she had asked enough stupid questions; she kept her muzzle shut but stewed in her concerns.

The tunnel continued on for a while, the lost animals trudging through the abyss. They walked in silence until Chase abruptly stopped.

"Wait," he said, halting himself. "Do you hear that?"

Everest shot him an annoyed glare, "if you're starting to hear stuff now, I promise you it's not me."

"No, I actually heard... something," Chase flicked his gaze around, a weary look on his face.

Still confused at his actions, Everest pricked her ears to listen. The churning of The Omnihive instantly molested her hearing, filling it with bellowed groans and distant hums.

"I hear something," Chase said again, his ears turning in all directions as he searched for the noise.

"Well I'm not, and I'm seriously starting to worry about you," the husky rolled her eyes.