Chapter 21- Twisted Sociology

The grand return to the real world was the biggest rush of relief any of them felt in a long time. One by one they climbed back into the tightened crevice, too exhausted at the conditions to even complain anymore, and hustled back through the tunnel. Just end it all, please, just make everything end, desperate pleas ran through their heads as the mushy floor turned back to hardened stone. The Gates of Heaven awaited them, opening like embracing arms to let them out of the terrible cage with what little shreds of their sanity remained.

They were swarmed with guards almost instantly, flooding Ryder and each of the dogs with chemicals and water to disinfect whatever the Omnihive had possibly left on them. Rocky had a small panic attack as the liquids assaulted him, prompting fearless snarling from the mix at the fully armed Archline soldiers. Marshall was so mentally destroyed he barely twitched when the chemicals hit him, while Ryder and Chase grimaced and closed their eyes. The only one who weirdly enjoyed the hose down was Everest, happily puffing out her fur for the cool water to banish away the heat endured for the past several hours.

Ryder didn't say any goodbyes, vanishing into the maze of reflective hallways without even looking back. The captain watched him shuffle off, contemplating where he could possibly go.

"He failed just like the rest of us, why is he allowed to walk away?" said the mix, narrowing his gaze.

"Rocky, there's something I should... probably tell you," Chase said, looking around to make sure there weren't any prying guards.

"What is it?" The mix turned around, giving his slightly distracted attention.

Here it comes, Chase had been rehearsing the words but it all blanked the moment it finally happened. How was anything like this supposed to be easy, Rocky was nearly staring right into his soul with stagnating patience. The shepherd stood with choking anxiety, even worse that everyone was burning holes into his fur with their watchful gazes, leaving an unbearably bristling heat under his coat.

"Well?" Rocky shrugged, his eyes flickering with concern.

"When I met Mother Genesis," came the shepherd's weary voice, kneading his sweating paws. "She told me-"

An Archline soldier spontaneously appeared at his side, tall ears in snow-white fur poking through his helmet. Chase found it notoriously difficult to believe any kind of normal dog was underneath these soulless warriors, even flinching at the sudden new presence.

The armored dog spoke through his tactical mask, "Chase, right? Dutch wants to see you."

The shepherd blinked in surprise, flicking his gaze aside to Rocky. "Me?"

"Are you not Chase?"

"Of course I am," he flattened his ears, growling slightly at the well-armed soldier. "What, does he want to beat me up again?"

"That's none of my business, but God help you if he does," came the guard's dry response.

"What about us?" Marshall said, hesitantly walking up.

"He just wants the shepherd, no one else."

"Well guys, guess I'm gonna get the shit kicked out of me again," Chase said jeeringly, looking back at his family. "Maybe this time I can get a hit on that stupid leather jacket of his."

Rocky dismissed the cut conversation, giving him a nod. "Just go, we'll be waiting for you in the rooms."

"Is he coming back?" came Everest's worried voice, fearful at seeing Chase vanish with the guard. "What if Dutch... what if he does something to him?"