Chapter 22- Among the Flawless

Such desperation to end a terrible day, listening in on Chase's mind groaning to rest his weary frame made Genesis chuckle. The shepherd was already sleeping like the dead, peacefully adrift in his dreams while Everest lovingly held him from behind. It was a blissful moment to forget all the horrors and artistic sadism they passed in the hours prior. All that mattered to them was each other, and Chase happily danced in his dream walking through an alternate world where the PAW Patrol had never been destroyed.

"You don't get such luxuries," Genesis said, leeching into the shepherd's mind. "Now get up."

Chase's eyes shot open as if on command, violently snatching the dog out of his dream.

"Mmph," came the shepherd's defiant grunt, getting himself comfortable again and closing his eyes.

"I said get up."

"Go away," Chase said, his voice dragging.

"You can't sleep if I don't allow it, I have more control over you than you realize."

"Ugh..." the shepherd let out an agonized groan, pleading for silence to grace his tortured mind. "What do you want?"

"Get up, I have something I want you to do."

"Can't this wait?"

"Get up. Your mother commands it."

"Fine... just please shut up." Chase absently stared into the wall for a few minutes, then gently shifted out of Everest's arms. Sitting up in bed, an immeasurable exhaustion hung through his skin, yet his mind defiantly refused to rest. Genesis had a hold on him, puppeteering his brain and denying his ability to sleep. He took a remorseful look at the husky sleeping beside him, "so what do you want?"

"Return to the Gates of Heaven," Genesis said. "You'll find they've been opened."

"Opened? By who?"

"I'll tell you later. For now, do as I say. Return to the-"

A new voice perked up, catching him by surprise as the husky suddenly awoke. "Chase...?" came Everest's soft call, upset by the empty space beside her.

"Go back to sleep," he said simply.

"Are you alright?"

"Wish I was," came the shepherd's blank sigh. "Feel like I'm going insane."

Shifting her position, Everest draped her greyish-white arm around his waist, "we all go a little mad sometimes."

"Oh trust me, I know," Chase placed his paw upon hers. "Remind me later to tell you what went down with Zuma."

"Are you still blaming yourself for all that?"

"I guess not so much anymore," the shepherd said with a shrug. "There's no real point in staying in the past... Rocky and Marshall already forgive me... sort of."

"So what's wrong?" came Everest's gentle question, muttering her sweet nothings in his ear.

Chase looked idle for a few moments, trying to ignore the annoying buzz in his brain. "I know I'm supposed to do something, but I haven't a clue what it is. I have to act now, before the messiah tears itself out of me... yet I don't know what to do. Does anything I do matter? Is anything meaningful at this point?"

"Well you can't force a plan out of yourself," Everest nuzzled him in the nape. "Take some time and be with dogs you care about."

"I don't have time, Everest. Not anymore."