xlv ; something special

December 26th, 1994

At the start of term, if you had told Jupiter that she would be 'romantically involved' with Harry James Potter, she probably would've called you 'barking mad' and walked away.

Even as she laid in her bed on the morning of Boxing Day, she still found it incredibly hard to believe.

"Tell me again, how exactly did you get Harry to stop being a coward and ask you?" Hermione asked, sitting on the edge of Jupiter's bed as Jupiter stared at the ceiling endlessly.

"I yelled at him for talking to Cora Farraway, then he kissed me, then I yelled at him for not asking me, then he asked me," Jupiter said very clearly.

"He's a very lucky man," Parvati joked.

"Honestly, Jove, he's got to be absolutely whipped for you," Lavender sighed whimsically as she sat on her bed, holding a pillow. "I wish Seamus would feel that for me."

"Lav..." Hermione said, biting the inside of her cheek. She caught Parvati's eye, as she shook her head furiously from behind Lavender. "I'm sure he will."

"Hopefully," Lavender mumbled, wiping a tear from her red cheeks. Suddenly, she perked up and redirected her attention to Jupiter. "So, are you two dating, then?"

Jupiter sat up quickly, her eyebrows furrowed. "No," she said, then hesitated. "Well... I don't know."

"Has he asked you?" Parvati asked.

"Er- no," Jupiter shrugged, pursing her lips. "But... we snogged after the ball and he walked with me up to the dormitories."

"Wait," Lavender said, her eyes widening. "The prick snogged you after and still didn't even ask you out?"

"Yeah, I guess," Jupiter mumbled. "I don't think he meant it like that though-"

"Well, obviously," Hermione scoffed, rolling her eyes. "It took him ages to even figure out he fancied you. I don't expect him to use his head and actually ask you out when he had the chance."

"Nose down, Hermione," Jupiter said, kicking her from under her blanket. "He's just... new to this whole thing."

"Yeah, alright," Hermione laughed. "Jove, if he doesn't ask you out soon, I think you'll need to do what you did for the ball."

-

Nobody was looking forward to Care of Magical Creatures much in the snowy weather of December, though as Ron said, the skrewts would probably warm them up nicely, either by chasing them, or blasting off so forcefully that Hagrid's cabin would catch fire.

When they arrived at Hagrid's cabin, however, they found an elderly witch with closely cropped gray hair and a very prominent chin standing before his front door.

"Hurry up, now, the bell rang five minutes ago," she barked at them as they struggled toward her through the snow.

"Who're you?" Ron asked, staring at her. "Where's Hagrid?"

"My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank," she said briskly. "I am your temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher."

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry repeated loudly.