Chapter eight - Jasper

After I got home, I immediately went to look for my mom. "Mom, is it all true about Ava?" she looked at me in surprise for a moment. "What did you hear about Ava?" "Mom, I only asked you if it was true."

"If you've heard about her poor condition, unfortunately it's true. And it's just because of you, you idiot. And besides, didn't I ground you??'' "No, you didn't" Yes you did but I don't care. "Jasper, don't lie to me. I know very well that I grounded you. And I also know you went to see that bitch. I'm telling you now, that girl is only causing trouble.'' By the time she had finished talking, I was in my room. I dressed in clean clothes as quickly as possible and ran out of the house.

A few minutes later, I reach the street where Ava lives. Fortunately, my aunt's car wasn't parked there.

I went to the door and bent down to get the key from under the doormat so I could open the door, but the key wasn't there. I looked again. But nothing. Suddenly, the door opened. Ava was standing in them. "Do you want something?" At first glance she looked perfectly fine, and I was a little doubtful about what they had told me. But when I really looked at her, I noticed that she had changed. Impossibly. She had circles under her eyes. Her eyes were bloodily red. Her face was void of any emotion. Her hands were shaking, but most of all, she didn't have the sparkle in her eyes that she always had when we were together. That spark I've always wanted to see. That spark that I thought would never fade. She disappeared. And it's just because of me.

I guess I didn't answer her because she started closing the door. But before she could close them completely, I stuck my foot in there. But that didn't stop her. She started to close them tighter, it took me a while to get inside completely, but I succeeded. As soon as I closed the door behind me, Ava ran to her room. I ran after her. Fortunately, she noticed and stopped in the doorway. She entered the room and when I tried to pass through, she tried to close it, but I somehow knew what she was going to do and I was ready for it. So, it didn't hurt that much. "Are you done yet?? I said, a little breathless and a little surprised. ''No...'' She tried again but I stopped her and then walked over to her bed and sat down on it. "I just wanted to look at you because I heard something and I wanted to make sure it wasn't true." She laughed out loud. I don't know what she finds so funny about this. "Well, it's great that you're interested in me now. So, you've seen me now, you can go away.''  I looked at her in disbelief. And maybe this was the moment when everything changed. "You really don't want me here? I've come to apologize to you for something I didn't want...'' suddenly my phone next to me started ringing. Ava could see it and probably notice my screen, which had Charlotte♡♡ written on it, because she laughed a little with a laugh that told me she knew. I didn't take it, just muted it. After a while, it stopped ringing, but then she called again. "Get up and get out of my house," Ava told me rather unkindly. So, I accepted the phone call. And that was another mistake. Charlotte was on the way to my house, and if my mom is at home, it won't end well. I didn't say anything to Ava and ran out of the house...

AVA pov:

               I watch him run out of the house. And when I'm sure he can't hear me anymore, I whisper. "To her, you're just a wooden puppet, a mere pawn on a chess field, and I really hope you'll realize that, because I won't be waiting for you anymore. I can't handle another heartbreak, and especially not from the person who was supposed to be with me all the time. And that's why I'm going to say this for the first and last time: All my life I've loved you, even though I didn't realize it. But I'm done with that. I won't let myself be tossed around like some toy.'' Then I turned around and closed not only the front door, but also the door that leads to memories with Jasper. I threw away the key and started to burn the said door. Because apparently, he did the same.