C H A P T E R S I X

Dis is one of my favorite chapters :)

BRYN

Like a commando operative, Bryn hid behind the oak tree in her front yard as she counted the seconds, waiting for her parents to leave for work. Leslie had already left before she even woke up which was occurring with increasing frequency of late. Her mother left before dawn and didn't return until around ten or eleven at .

What in in the world is up with her... she thought to herself.

She watched her father stumble out the door, balancing his briefcase in hand, a cup of coffee in the other, and a muffin clamped in his mouth. He forgot his keys or something because he rolled his eyes exaggeratedly, groaned, and trudged back into the house, mumbling a slew of curses under his breath. Bryn had to clamp her hand over her mouth to suppress a chuckle at her father's antics.

The only reason Bryn felt hesitant about ditching school today was because of him; she didn't want to give him a heart attack and she was definitely going to get a stern talking to at the end of the night.

When he finally did drive away, Bryn dropped her backpack in the house, grabbed some cash, and ran over to the local bus stand to drive her downtown. She was meeting Flynn at some coffee shop that they both knew, and Bryn could scarcely suppress her excitement.

Swearing under her breath, she cursed her boneheaded move that day as she boarded the bus. She had put them back several steps in their friendship, and now she had to waste valuable time recovering ground that she had already claimed before.

Then Bryn realized that no matter how well off you are or how seemingly perfect your life is, there were always things that went wrong and things that existed to cause you pain. That was a common denominator between every human being that has ever lived or will live, and oddly enough, that was a good thing. It was our suffering that allowed people to understand and connect with other fellow beings. Maybe it was a steep price to pay, but Bryn felt that she would much rather live in an empathetic world than an apathetic one.

The bus finally came to a stop and she walked out, making a beeline for the coffee shop and making a point of directing her head to downwards to evade unwanted attention.

It was the tell tale tinkle of the door's bell and the familiar fragrance of an oceanic breeze that alerted her of Flynn's arrival. He slid into a chair beside Flynn. He was wearing an old, stained white T-shirt with a very interesting and provocative statement that was so "Flynn" that she wanted to grin.

"So what are we doing today?" Bryn inquired as Flynn inhaled his food. She was secretly glad to see him eating instead of declining to accept the food like she thought he was going to.

"We're saving that good stuff for a later day." He said with a wink and a good natured yet mischievous grin as he took another bite of his danish.

"Whatever." Bryn mumbled and his smirk widened.

"No, but in all honesty it's a surprise. You'll just have to wait and see." Flynn stated mysteriously and Bryn tried not to act too interested.

Without warning, he stood up and rubbed his hands over each other to cast away any excess crumbs before beckoning Bryn to follow him.

"Where are we going?" Bryn asked as she jogged to keep up with him.

"My most favorite place in world." Flynn stated simply and Bryn pondered what he meant.

Flynn deftly navigated through the hustle and bustle of the city with practiced ease while Bryn stumbled awkwardly and ungracefully, trying to keep up with his pace. When he finally realized she was struggling, he took her hand in his own and led her around as Bryn tried to quell the eruption of butterfly's in her stomach.