C H A P T E R E I G H T

I totally know that you guys miss my updates, jkjk. Here is chapter eight!!!
This chapter is dedicated to @DeadliestSeahawk13 thank you for the nice comments. :)

BRYN

"Where the hell have you been?" Leslie demanded, her hands crossed over her chest.

Bryn gulped and turned to face her mother and wiped her suddenly clammy hands on her jeans.

"Mother." Bryn croaked weakly.

Leslie glared silently at her daughter for another second befor speaking once more. "Answer my question. Where. Have. You. Been?" She spat out, chewing out each word.

"I-I was out." Bryn said quietly, realizing how stupid she sounded.

"Are you mocking my intelligence? I am perfectly aware that you were out. The question is, where did you go?" Leslie exclaimed.

Bryn recovered and managed to spin a good story. "I was volunteering at a homeless shelter with a friend from school." She said defiantly.

Leslie cocked an eyebrow upwards in disbelief. "And you think that skipping school for that was justifiable?" She demanded.

Her daughter gasped slightly and Leslie's eyes grew colder. "How naive do you think we are? Did you not think that we would find out?" She proclaimed.

"My actions were not intended to question your intelligence. I needed a day to breathe, and I don't think that's too much to ask. After all, I am going to be stone dead sometime in the near future." Bryn said bitterly, hoping to cut her mother with her words, as selfish as that was.

Leslie response was thoroughly unexpected. "Oh, of course you won't." She stated and Bryn looked up, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"What do you mean 'you won't'?" Bryn questioned, suddenly feeling very apprehensive.

"The doctor's will cure you. You'll see." Leslie declared so confidently it could have been gospel.

Bryn had no words to say. "I have a one in three chance of surviving and that's if I respond to chemo." She said slowly, hoping to reach her mother and drag her from whatever fantasy she was living in.

"You'll live." Her mother repeated.

Hesitantly, Bryn took a step backward and her hand wrapped around the railing on the staircase to steady herself. She studied her mother with worry etched into every feature of her face as she sought desperately to find reason in her mother's face. Leslie however remained firmly dogmatic and illogically confident that she would survive, as though her death wasn't even a possibility.

"Where's dad?" Bryn questioned.

"Out. I'm not done with you, get back down here." Leslie proclaimed, advancing towards her daughter.

Bryn shook her head in dissent childishly and turned to escape but her mother exerted a vice like grip on her arm and dragged her into the kitchen. Leslie sat back in her chair as her daughter rubbed her forearm. With a glare from her mother, Bryn sat into the chair opposite her and continued to massage her bruised arm.

"What are you playing at, Bryn?" Leslie demanded.

"I just skipped one day of school! Calm down, I have always gone to school every single day for as long as I can remember, it's fine if I don't for one day." Bryn protested, feeling exasperated.

Leslie shook her head in agitation. "You can't afford to take things easy! College applications are right around the corner. We expect you to follow in Dylan's footsteps, and you can't do that if you're taking days off." She insisted.