Chapter Twelve - Changed Man

My mind went blank as my hands snapped up and clutched the man’s neck. He began to gag and gasp for air, air that hopefully would never come.

“Allyson, what the hell are you doing?” Joseph yelled. He came closer to me but Elizabeth stopped him.

“Are you crazy? She’s killing him!” he tried to come towards me, again.

“There’s absolutely no way she’s a killer, Joseph. She’s just getting her anger out.” Elizabeth sounded so calm. I saw his face start to turn vibrant red and even though my mind told me that I should continue, that he wronged me so I should do the same, my heart couldn’t take it. I let go and backed away. All eyes were on me, Joseph’s with horror, Elizabeth’s with questions, and the man, with the name I have yet to figure out, with fear and anger.

“He’s right. He’s the father.” I began to tear up, I couldn’t take the truth. Joseph offered a helping hand to the man but he just lied there.

“What’s your name.” he asked the man more demanding that questioning.

“B-Bailey.” he whispered, clutching his neck dramatically like I actually hurt him.

“So, Bailey, what made you suddenly want to be in her life?” Joseph lightened up, searching for answers.

“When I heard the news, I set on a journey to find her.” Bailey tried to seem concerned and loving but I could see straight through him.

“You liar!” I blurted out. I couldn’t contain my rage anymore.

“Allyson! He is trying to show you compassion! What the hell has gotten into you?”

“Compassion? Ha! That’s a laugh! If only you understood, Joseph, if only you understood the whole situation!” I felt my blood begin to boil. I know he doesn’t know but I don’t have the heart to talk about it, anymore.

“Then explain. I’m all ears.” he spoke condescending. I took a deep breath, absolutely not wanting to open this door up again but knowing I had to…

“It was a one night stand. We were both very drunk and we just threw ourselves at each other. I love her, though.” He finished with a smile. I grabbed a kitchen knife that was conveniently close to me and poked it to his chest, as he was standing up by now. He was tall but he didn’t tower over me. He held his hands up and backed away.

“Don’t act like you are innocent here, you dirty bastard. I may have made the decision to keep this child but that doesn’t alleviate the fact that you ruined my fucking life four months ago.” I pushed the knife a tad bit harder, any deeper and I’d pierce his skin. He tried to speak but I cut him off, “Shut the fuck up. I’m sick of fearing for not only my life but my child’s life. Yes, my child, not yours. And right now you have two God damn options: you can either walk out of this house and never let me see your disgusting face again or you can stay and I’ll just keep pushing this knife harder until it pierces your heart. Your choice, dick.” He just stared at me until he slowly grabbed the knife and threw it on the ground across the room.

“I’m a changed man.” he smiled, still the same wicked smile. He held his arms spread out like he wanted me to hug him but I pushed him away and walked towards the knife across the room.

“I’m telling the truth, Allyson. I have changed for the better!” I began to shake as resentment filed into my bones. I knelt down to grab the knife when everything started to become blurry and a horrible burning sensation in my side made me collapse onto the wooden floor.

“Allyson!” I heard both Joseph and Bailey yell. It was quiet after that and my vision started to come back slowly.

“Are you okay, dear?” Elizabeth stood above me, her voice was soft. The pain lingered in my stomach but was less threatening. I grabbed her extended hand and slowly stood up.

“Joseph, take Allyson to her bed and have her lie down. She needs to calm down, otherwise she is putting stress on the baby. Bailey, come with me.” Joseph suddenly became worried and slowly walked me to the bed. He kept apologizing for stressing me out; I pulled my arm away from him and snapped.

“You don’t know my life. I have never loved this man and just found out his name, so do not even think you can tell me when I am doing wrong or not.”

“I understand a one night stand, Allyson. No one plans on having them. I ju-”

I cut him off, yelling, “I don’t know about you but I don’t consider rape as a one night stand!” and slammed the door. Another wave of abdominal pain hit me, making me hit my back on the door. I slowly slid down, clutching my stomach. God, why did you let this happen?