Chapter Eight - "Winkler?"

Two months passed and I had gotten very comfortable in dear Elizabeth’s house. My room had grown with more and more, along with my confidence. She made me feel like I actually had a chance in this world. I still have my moments where I slip back into my dark realm, I mean… Who wouldn’t? My health had declined, though. That was actually the only downfall of this whole thing, aside from not having seen Joseph for four months. He seemed to creep in my mind every night and every morning. It was like I had this empty void in my stomach which made me grow sickly. A run to the restroom broke my thought process, throwing up each word my mind had possessed.

“This has been going on for a while; I think it may be time for a trip to the doctor.” Elizabeth spoke, frightening me. I just stayed there on my knees, holding onto the toilet lid like it was my only hope. I was fairly shaky; I didn’t want to get back up as Elizabeth held out her hand to assist me. I held my hand up, motioning for her to stop. I wanted to lie on that floor and sulk in my own sorrow. I really wanted, no, I needed Joseph right now. I feared the worst. I never found my family history, what if I was dying from something hereditary? What if that fucker gave me a disease when he stole my everything? What if…

“Is anyone in there?” a man shouted from the front door, knocking very loudly. Elizabeth rubbed my back reassuringly before going to answer and see who this man was. A sudden fear struck my very core.

“Is Allyson Gray here?” asked the man. I still couldn’t move from the bathroom floor. The man entered and asked one million questions pertaining to if I was okay, and yanked me up off of the ground. My hearing was muffled and my eyesight was dim. I felt like I was shutting down, like I had to be plugged in to recharge for the rest of the day. I didn’t even notice I had moved over to the couch until Elizabeth put her hand on my knee. I looked up and she nodded at me, signing that everything was okay and to answer the man. I looked up and saw a very handsome man standing in front of me, patiently waiting for me to answer his question.

“I’m sorry but what did you ask, again?” I muttered.

“Ms. Gray, who were you living with before you moved here with Elizabeth?” his words were all business, there wasn’t even a hint of sympathy.

“I-I was living with Crystal Gray.” I stuttered. I began to feel nauseous again.

“Crystal Gray?” He whispered to himself, “If you will excuse me for one moment.” He then quickly walked outside to make a phone call.

“Elizabeth, what’s going on?” I whispered. I didn’t have enough energy to even look her way. I just looking down the whole time, I felt like fresh shit.

“You look pale, dear. Come here and lie down.” she grabbed my legs and swooped them up onto the couch and pulled my shoulders back to put me in a comfortable position.  I slightly smiled, my eyes were already shut. I liked seeing complete darkness but still being able to hear every noise. It was like being invisible and though you cannot see, your hearing was enhanced.

“Does she need a ride to the hospital?” the man asked Elizabeth. I heard her whisper something to him, but I couldn’t make it out.

“Allyson, can you hear me?” the man asked me. By the sound of it, he was right by my face. I wanted to nod my head but my body had shut down. I could clearly hear everything around me but my body was just a carcass. I felt him life me up and then suddenly I heard the wilderness all around. It was quite cool outside, perfect temperature really. I heard a car door unlock and then I was lying down on what felt like leather seats.

“May I use your cell phone?” I believe Elizabeth asked the man. My hearing started to become muffled. Everything was starting to dim down, all of my sense shutting down for rest.

“It’s Elizabeth, dear. I really need you to come by the hospital and help me with this girl that’s been living with me. Her name is Allyson. Please get there as soon as you can. Thank you, J…

                I woke up to a familiar color all around me, but the familiar face did not welcome my awakening. A nurse that was checking my vitals welcomed me with a smile.

“Hi, Allyson. How are you feeling?”

“I-I’m okay. Where’s Elizabeth?” my voice sounded raspy, it was like my vocal chords were mangled.

“Ms. Winkler? Oh, she’s out in the hall waiting for me to be done.”

“Winkler? Elizabeth Winkler?” I was saying quietly to myself in surprise. It took one moment for it to click before I screamed from him. I yelled for Joseph. Before I knew it, he came busting through the door, ready to help me; me, of all people, me. I yanked the needles that were penetrating me out and jumped into his arms, crying.

“They didn’t hurt me, anymore, Joseph.” I buried my face into his neck, sobbing from joy. This was really happening. I dreamt of seeing him again, and it came true. Maybe not in the best way possible, but I absolutely needed to be with him.

“Allyson, I need to give you the information I just received. You’ve been out for two days and I’m sorry to break up a cheerful situation but we must talk.” the man that came to the house that day seemed anxious. Joseph put me down and left the room. I sat back down on the bed and waited for the horrid news to travel from this man’s mouth to my fragile heart.

“Crystal has been taken into custody. She will no longer be a free woman.” My heart sank a little. She treated me like the devil but she was still my own flesh and blood. I couldn’t help but be upset.

“I know Crystal raised you, in a way, but Allyson… She wasn’t your real mother. She was just a prostitute who found you. How, we aren’t sure. We’ve been searching for your real parents but have had no luck.” I became stone. Did I hear all of this correctly? All of my fucking life a damn POSTITUTE has raised me? A complete stranger led a man to rape me. I’ve lived with a complete stranger all of my life that I had recollection of.

“I know this is a lot to take in, especially in your condition, but we need to know if there was anything that happened while you were living with Crystal.” I couldn’t bring myself to even look up from the floor. My heart was smashed. My real mom didn’t want me so she left me somewhere and this drunken prostitute found me, thinking I was her own. Suddenly, my thoughts came back. My memories came back, I remembered. The things I suppressed opened up and the waters washed in all around. I remember now. I remember what happened when I was younger.

“I remember what Crystal did to me.” I whispered, “She sold me for money. She sold me to men so she could get money for drugs. I remember what Crystal did to me. She sold me.” I slowly looked up at the man, which I now saw was wearing an officer’s badge. His emotions didn’t show. Maybe this wasn’t a surprise to him but it was to me. I blocked this part of my childhood out because I didn’t want to remember I lost my innocence at the age of 10.

“I was 10 and she sold me for $10.00, I remember now.”

“Allyson, is there anything else that stands out? Is there anything that recently happened?” he asked, still writing down everything I’ve said. I looked at him and began telling him of the man that raped me in my sleep. Once I finished, the officer got up and thanked me for my time and once he left, Joseph came in and scooped me into his arms. I thought I’d be disgusted with people but seeing Joseph’s glowing face made everything in me melt. I smiled behind my tears and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“I’m coming to live with you.” he said, “I’m coming to live with you and protect you.”

“You don’t have to…” I whispered to him.

“Yes, I do.” he smiled, trying to get me to look him in the eye, “My grandma has already said yes. I’m going to go get the doctor and tell her you are awake.” He laid me down and ran for a doctor. I immediately wanted to be back in his arms. Could it be that through all of my pain, love was seeping through and taking over?

------------------------------------------------

definitely not my best chapter but it's all i could give you. i promise it will get better.

what's wrong with Allyson? Will Joseph actually stay? What of that mysterious man that stole everything from Allyson, where is he? tell me what you think, guys!

-Allie