Chapter 2

The smell of bacon wakes me up. I grab my jeans from last night, running a hand through my hair and pad downstairs.
 "Good morning! I thought I'd make you breakfast to thank you for last night." She's still wearing the dress from last night. Black, tight and too short. I grab a clean shirt from my dryer.
"Here this'll be more comfortable." I say. She smiles gratefully at me and runs off to change. When she returns she's wiped off her makeup and is wearing the baggy shirt. I can't help but smile. She looks homely, like she belongs here, like she's always been here.
"So what's your real name?" I ask, grabbing the bacon and dishing it onto plates while she sits at the island.
"Charlotte Jackson. I always hated Charlotte, people used to call me Charles and Charlie so after a while I stopped using it." she tells me, digging into her food.
"Well I like it." I tell her. We fall into an awkward silence so I flick the news on.
"Another man was found dead in bed in Watford last night. Friends say he slipped away with a prostitute named Miss Jackson who is notorious for sleeping, killing and then leaving a piece of paper signed with her name. Six people have now been killed by the woman and police urge anyone with even the slightest bit of information on the woman to come forward. Anything will bring us one step closer to catching the killer."
"I think I should go." Charlotte whispers. I nod once, shock muting my nerves.
 "Thank you for everything." She kisses my cheek before picking up her shoes and walking out of the house. I numbly begin to pick up the plates and pans, loading them into the dishwasher, unable to pull together a coherent thought. A banging on the door pulls me back to his senses. I pull the door open and am immediately crushed.
"Oh my gosh Dan I was so worried!" Kate hugs me tightly, her eyes frantic.
"I just saw it on the news, Miss Jackson struck again! I knew you'd gone with that woman last night, I didn't know if it was her or not. Was it?" she suddenly stops and pulls back, looking me dead in the eyes. I shake my head.
"No! No it wasn't her. The woman I was with last night was called Charlotte. It wasn't Miss Jackson." Dan shocks himself with the lies that flow out of his mouth easily. Kate grins.
"So did you get her number? I bet you didn't. You idiot, you should've." She waltzes into the house and sits on the sofa, beckoning me in.
"Tell me everything!" She laughs.