Chapter 15

I curl up under my duvet, trying to block out the world.
"Dan? Dan are you awake?" It's Kyle, sat on the end of my bed.
"Yuhuh." I mumble, kicking my foot in case he doesn't hear me.
"There's someone at the door." He tells me. I poke my head out.
"Who?"
"You might want to come see." I kick my duvet off and roll out of bed, pulling on a pair of sweat pants. I pad downstairs, stifling a yawn.
"Dan!" a cloud of hair and a pair of arms around my neck knocks my breath away.
"I'm so happy you're here." She whispers in my ear.
"Hi Charlotte." I smile into her hair. I start to wind my arms around her waist but quickly pull back. "What're you doing here? Get out. I said I didn't want to see you again." I back against the wall, trying to control my anger.
"I know. And I'm sorry, I really am. But I have a problem."
"Really? And what would that be?"
"My parents are coming to see me." I gasp dramatically and raise an eyebrow.
"What a disaster! How's it my problem?"
"You don't understand! I'm a lier. I told them I'm a lawyer, I'm married and a mother. They think I have my life in control, that I'm rich and successful. But I'm not."
"Why the fuck do I want to help you." I mutter to myself.
"Because you love me?" She asks with a hopeful smile.
"Dan! Come look at him! Come look how cute he is!" Kyle yells from the kitchen. I turn my back on Charlotte and walk towards Kyle.
"Who's that?" I ask him, looking at the baby in his arms. Then everything clicks. I want to run away but I find myself walking towards Kyle and the baby.
"He's called Jason." Charlotte tells me, standing in the doorway. I reach my arms out, taking him.
"I love him." I whisper with a smile. He opens his eyes. Bright blue eyes. Blinking at me. My phone vibrates on the island. I pass Jason back to Kyle and pick it up, walking back into the living room. The screen reads Ralph Pellymounter.
"Son of a bitch." I laugh.
"Hey Ralph."
"Dan."
"I'm sorry about yesterday. I have no idea what came over me." Ralph laughs on the other end.
"It's fine. You had to get it out of your system and I deserved it."
"Do you want to come over? Have a few drinks. You can tell me everything that happened while I was gone."
"Sure, I'll be over in a couple hours." He says before hanging up.
"You're back to your normal, soft, dorky Dan." Kyle jokes from the doorway. I turn to him and stick my tongue out childishly.
"Kyle can I ask you something? Do you think I'd make a good husband and father?"
"Uhh, yeah sure, why?"
"Because I'm going to pick up my short lived acting career." I laugh, pulling him into a hug before running into the kitchen to Charlotte.