Chapter 4

"Charlotte? Are you awake?" I knock quietly on the door, hoping she is. She flings it open and smiles at me, still wearing my shirt.
"Good morning, Mr Smith!" I laugh at her.
"Good sleep?" Her smile widens.
"Best one in weeks!"
 "I'm glad. I have a recording session with the guys in an hour or two. If you want to come?" She nods furiously.
"I would love love love to!"
"Okay, we'll have to stop by your house so you can get changed." Her smile falters.
"My house?"
"Yeah. It won't be long, don't worry."
"No. I can't. You can't see that place." She slams the door in my face and I can hear her crying quietly. I open the door and sit beside her on the bed, wrapping my arm around her shoulders.
"I understand. But you don't have to be ashamed, I don't care." I tell her. She bolts up and glares at me.
"You understand?! Please. You have no idea what it's like to grow up with my life. You have never had to live like this and you never will!"
"Well then tell me, show me, help me understand." She sighs.
"Fine. Let's go." She grabs her shoes and walks to the car in an angry silence.
"So where am I heading?" I ask, starting it up.
"Peckham." She mumbles. I drive, trying to keep down my fear of the run down town. As we approach, she directs me to an old council estate.
"Wait, wasn't this place on the news a couple months ago?" I recognize the old building.
"Yeah, massive fire."
"So why're you still living here?"
"A few were untouched and they can't be arsed rehousing us." We head inside one of the dark rooms. A double mattress lies in the middle of the floor, a small fridge hums in the corner and take out packets are littered across the floor.
"Jackson? Is that you?"
"Yeah it's me." A woman around Charlottes age walks out of a door in just her underwear, making me blush. I turn around, focusing on the wall.
"I thought you were dead! Why didn't you tell me you were staying out you bitch? Who is this?!"
"Oh yeah, Grace this is Dan. Dan this is my best friend Grace." I raise a hand, not daring look at her. "I'm going for a shower, Grace get Dan something to drink and please put some fucking clothes on." she walks into the room Grace just came out of.
"So, you're Dan Smith?" she asks with a coy smile.
"Uh, yeah." I answer awkwardly, not sure if she's dressed or not.
"So what're you doing with Jackson?" she asks, flopping onto the mattress.
"I was just taking her somewhere, what's it to you?" I start to feel defensive for no reason. Charlotte suddenly yelps from the bathroom. Me and Grace barge in and Charlotte stands there in a towel. "Grace did you pay the water bill?!" She yells. Grace bites her lip.
"Grace! I reminded you last week!"
"I'm sorry!" Charlotte sighs and walks out, coming back in five minutes later dressed in slightly mucky jeans and a creased shirt.
"Come on Dan, lets just go." She storms out, dragging me with her.