//012.💛

EFFIGY

Si-Hoo and Old Master Zhu were seated on the first-floor sofa in the living room of the Zhu residence. They had disheveled hair and a dejected air about them. The once-opulent villa was now a complete mess. Everything of value had been relocated.

Si-Hoo appeared disheveled with a stubble-covered face. At the side, Do-Hee sobbed and bemoaned, saying, "Son, how dare you borrow from so many loan sharks? How ought we to proceed? Oh my goodness." The Zhu family filed for bankruptcy the day Si-Hoo was assaulted and taken to the hospital. The bank had sealed off all of their real estate, including this villa. How were they going to survive?

With a fierce scolding, Old Master Zhu said, "Cry, cry, cry; that is all you do! Why did not you treat Jungkook better in the past if you knew it would end up this way?"

Do-Hee sobbed as she shot back, asking, "What about you? You just scold me. As Jungkook's grandfather, you have never shown him any kindness."

The commotion infuriated Si-Hoo. He yelled, "Okay, get over it!" Enough of him being irritated already! The business filed for bankruptcy over night, and the court got involved in the probe. He could go to jail. He would spend the rest of his life behind bars. Why did these individuals continue to argue?

The elderly woman and man both closed their mouths. They both felt a great deal of regret. How could they have gotten to this point if they had treated Jungkook better in the past? They could have soared to the top by taking advantage of the Kim family's power!

Gritting her teeth, the elderly Zhu family member considered Jungkook. "After receiving the Kim family's support, that brat Jungkook does not want to return home, right?" They were his grandparents, what an ungrateful ingrate! "He ought to be understanding, even if they have made mistakes in the past." Furthermore, they did nothing wrong; rather, Areum suffered a miscarriage as a result of Jungkook pushing her down the stairs first. Was it wrong to punish him since he was capable of such horrible deeds at such a young age?

At this point, Areum came downstairs and said, "Mom, Dad, honey, do not worry," in a soft voice. Kookie will return, no doubt about it. She held a doll in her hand, which was Kookie's kitten doll. "Mom, Dad, don't worry. Kookie left his doll at home. He'll come back for it.'

Areum knew that this kitten doll was all his mother's remaining possession, even though others were unaware of how precious it was to him. Every day, even when he was being severely beaten, that brat would hold it in his arms and would not let it go. Areum could still recall that he would never cry, no matter how hard he was hit. Later, when he took the kitten doll and severed its ear out of rage, Jungkook started crying right away.

With a frown, Si-Hoo regarded the frayed doll that was in Areum's grasp and inquired, "Are you sure he will come back?" It was hard for him to believe. A worn-out doll-what was there to miss?

Areum gave a soft smile. "Hubby, you are usually too busy to go with Kookie. Of course, you would never learn that he has a soft spot for this kitten doll. His mother had given it to him. Kookie loves it dearly and will not let it go from his side."

Do-Hee paused to reflect. That brat Jungkook really did hug the doll every day seemed to be the case. Not only did he not abandon it when using the restroom. Anticipating this, she exclaimed, "Great, I hope he can come back!" They will be able to reverse the situation as long as he returns. All they required was a little persuasion from the three-year-old.

Areum lowered her gaze to conceal her delight. She was certain that

Jungkook was going to return. She had a very significant "friend" here in addition to the kitten doll: a parrot. Although Jungkook made arrangements for the parrot to remain in the woods behind the Zhu family's villa, no one was aware of which family had lost it.

The parrot would only appear when he went there, and normally no one could get close to it. Areum's confidence that Jungkook would return was also based on this. Only Jungkook had the ability to take the parrot away; anyone else could come get the kitten doll.

Areum softly spoke over Si-Hoo's shoulder, "I just fixed the doll's broken parts and gave it a wash. Kookie will be overjoyed to see it when he returns."

Si-Hoo gave Areum a joyful hug. "I appreciate all of your effort. You are really thoughtful. I'll make it up to you when our company makes a comeback."

Fakely saying, "I do not want any compensation," Areum leaned into Si-Hoo's arms. "All I want to do, Hubby, is share your load."

_____

Happy Reading