Chapter 9: Matrimonial Spats

Lilith's POV

A week later, another headache came in the form of a black stray cat.

Knock Knock

There was a knock on the door, or more accurately, on the window of my shared bedroom with the Duke.

"Sister, how do you make someone fall for you?" Max asked, climbing in through the balcony with his usual lack of decorum.

"Fuck them!" I deadpanned.

Max looked at me with a big frown on his face and then I broke out laughing. "Okay, fine~~what is it?" I asked more seriously, looking at him away from my book.

He fell onto the bed and then laid his head on my lap. "I think I like her..." he mumbled into my nightgown and I laughed out loud. "That's a good joke."

He looked at me, unamused, and then blushed, showing that he was being serious. "Okay... you sure?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure."

Listening to Max's whining, I could feel my patience wearing thin. "She's like, 'Let's date,' and I was like, 'Oh wow, she wants to date me,'" he continued, his voice filled with exasperation.

I braced myself for another round of his complaints, knowing that my ears would be ringing by the end of the night.

"But then she says she wants to be in a contractual relationship to get away from the marriage with the crown prince she thought her father has set her up with," Max explained, and suddenly, everything clicked into place.

So that's why she had been spending so much time with him lately. "BUT I AM THE CROWN PRINCE!!"

'I should probably tell her that the marriage with the crown prince is just a misunderstandi--'

"Don't tell her anything that'll bring me trouble." he remarked, and I mentally scratched that thought.

As Max continued his tirade about Jubelian's reaction to the crown prince, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for him.

"I'm sorry, Max," I sighed, running my fingers through his hair in a futile attempt to comfort him. "But you know, sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to."

"I know, but it's just frustrating," he grumbled, clearly not ready to accept defeat.

"That's why I keep telling you to watch your attitude," I gently chided him, booping his nose lightly. "Maybe if you approach things differently, you'll have better luck."

Max huffed in response, clearly not thrilled with my suggestion, but he eventually drifted off to sleep, exhausted fot the day.

I lay there for a while, pondering over Max's situation. But my thoughts were soon interrupted by the realization that the duke hadn't come for the night, likely preoccupied with his prior commitments.

Relieved that I wouldn't have to face any awkward questions about Max sleeping in my room, I closed my eyes and drifted off into a restless sleep.

An Eternity Later~~~

I should've just kicked him off last night.

"THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!"

We both jolted awake at the sudden intrusion. "What the hell is this!?" The voice boomed, and Max and I scrambled to sit up, exchanging alarmed glances.

"Oh, it's just the master..." Max groaned, rubbing his head, while I frantically tried to gather my thoughts, realizing the compromising position I was in.