Chapter 45: Divorced And Frustrated

Lilith's POV

I gripped the quill in my hand tighter, my breath hitching as I stared at the papers in front of me. 

"You're dismissed." I ordered Brohmir, my personal guard, and the maids. They bowed and left, leaving me alone with Legis.

"Wife," Legis said, placing the divorce papers on the table. I looked at them, feeling a lump in my throat. His signature was already on them.

"Give me a minute," I pleaded, biting my lip to stop it from trembling.

"No," he replied coldly. "We don't have time."

'Time for what?'

I thought, my heart breaking. I started to write the letter L, but my hands immediately began to shake. I gripped my wrist, trying to steady it, but I couldn't do it. 

"Damn it... Uhm, hic, hic..." The sobs escaped my lips despite my efforts to hold them back. 

"Do it right," Legis commanded, his voice harsh and unyielding. He grabbed my hands from behind, trying to force me to sign. My hiccups wouldn't stop, and tears blurred my vision.

"No... fuck, I can't..." I whimpered my fingers losing their strength, my whole body shaking with the effort of holding back my tears.

"Fuck!! Do it, Lilith!!" Legis' grip on my hands tightened painfully.

I looked at the document through my tear-filled eyes, feeling like my heart was being ripped out. With a final, shuddering breath, I signed the paper. 

'Fighting a dragon was easier.'

"Duke, he's here," Derek said, knocking on the door.

Legis nodded. "Sign these too," he said, shoving another set of documents toward me. I didn't even look at the papers. I just signed them, feeling empty and numb.

Legis didn't say anything. He just stepped out of the room, leaving me alone with my despair. I wiped my eyes and took a deep breath, determined not to break down again. 

I opened the huge windows to the balcony and leaned my against the railing, looking out at the world beyond. "Wow, we really did divorce," I whispered to myself, biting my lip but refusing to cry.

"I told you not to waste your tears," a familiar voice said from behind me. I turned to see the high priest entering the room.

"Wow, are you here to take me to the temple?" I asked, trying to muster a smile despite the turmoil inside. "Well, might as well do something good instead of wasting away."

"Sadly, I'm not fortunate enough for that," he replied smiling.

Legis stepped back into the room and knelt in front of me, holding out the ring of the Floyen family. "Lilith Aria Ashlet, will you marry me?" he asked earnestly.

"Huh.. I—how?" I stammered, completely taken aback. I knew that ring had been buried with Amelia's body.

"I did. I gave it to him," Amelia's ghost appeared behind me, her hand resting gently on my shoulder. "I approve of you." With that, she disappeared again.

"It was on my table this morning," Legis explained, looking up at me with seriousness in his eyes. "I want you to have it."

Tears streamed down my face as I realized what he was saying. "You fucking bastard!" I sobbed, my emotions overwhelming me. "I thought you..." My knees gave out and I fall down.

"I'm sorry." Legis cupped my cheeks and kissed them tenderly, slipping the ring onto my finger. 

"Now, I can't have you marry me in this dress," he said. The high priest snapped his fingers, and my attire transformed into a beautiful pink dress.