5 || green sneakers

Emmalyn ⋆。°✩

In the morning, i groaned and stretched my arms as my alarm went off.

I yawned and untangled my hair, which was supposed to be in a bun but had half the strands out.

I put on some grey sweatpants and a navy blue top with flowery details at the collar, letting my wavy hair fall naturally. I added a bit of makeup to look presentable.

I'm no makeup expert; i just used foundation and concealer to cover any bruises or dark circles. Usually, i stick to lip gloss and curling my lashes, which are naturally long and voluminous, avoiding mascara since i hate removing it.

I think i'd rather kill myself than have to remove mascara every single day.

Just as i slung my backpack over my shoulder, my phone rang with a call from Mateo.

I answered quickly and heard his deep voice ask, "Want me to pick you up?"

His tone had an indescribable emotion. I nodded, even though he couldn't see me, and replied, "Yeah, I'd like that," almost sounding sad.

He said he was on his way and hung up. I couldn't understand why i was letting a near-stranger take me places on his motorcycle when i wouldn't even trust my own father to do so.

For obvious reasons.

Laughing to myself, i left the house and waited a few houses down where Mateo knew to stop.

Yesterday, i had told him my dad was strict about boys, so he didn't question it and agreed to park there.

After a few minutes in the chilly air, he arrived with a tight grin, took off his helmet, and gently placed it on my head. I hopped on his bike, holding his waist at first but gradually loosening my grip as i grew more comfortable.

When we arrived at school, i murmured a thank you, and he nodded in response.

Walking into school felt like walking through a hostile crowd; i felt everyone's eyes on me. I tried to ignore it, but my mind was almost blurred, thinking about what their opinions must've been about me arriving with Mateo.

He's the classic bad boy, a popular guy who garners all the girls' attention but doesn't seem to return it. At least he's not a man-whore.

I couldn't understand why all these girls were glaring at me as if i had stolen their man.

I just rode with him, and if they want him, he's all theirs. I have absolutely no interest in him. I think.

Mateo ignored all the looks we got, facing it as if it was a casual routine for him, and maybe it was.

We walked into our first class, and he sat at our desk, unpacking his bag but taking out his phone and gum instead of books. I handed the poster to our teacher, smiling slightly, so i wouldn't have to worry about a last-minute submission.

"I never excepted you two to work together!" A girl whispered to my ear and i gave her a curious look.

"I was assigned to sit with Mateo last year, and he didn't even look at me, i'm not even sure he was aware of my existence." she explained, handing her poster to the teacher.