III

I shot up quickly, trying to calm my breathing. Same shit different day. I fell asleep with a lot less bedding than I woke up with. I looked around the room, and that's when it hit me. Everything that happened yesterday began playing back in my head. I took a deep breath, and fully sat up. That's when I heard whispering coming from the kitchen. I slowly made my way over there, hiding behind the corner to eavesdrop.

“Why didn't you ever tell me?”

“Damien, it's hard to explain.”

I watched Shayne drop his head, causing Damien to place his hand on his shoulder.

“Look, I can't pretend to understand, but you know I would've been there for you. I would've done anything to help you through it.”

Shayne had started crying at this point. Damien took a step back and started leaning on the counter.

“I want to protect her with everything I have. I don't want to lose her. There's so much time lost…I don't know where to begin on fixing it.”

“All you can do is take it day by day man.”

I watched the two of them hug, while Shayne cried on his shoulder. I decided I should probably make myself known at this point. I slowly took a couple of steps to reveal myself. They both let go and faced me. I lowered my head, messing with my fingers. Damien moved out of the way so Shayne could hug me. We sat there for a while just enjoying the silence.

“I'm gonna call Joe, maybe we can move your first day to tomorrow. I wanna talk about a lot of stuff.”

I pulled away and nodded, and watched as Shayne left the room.

“Thanks for the bedding Dames.”

“Yeah no problem.”

He looked down and started messing with the hem of his shirt.

“Hey Y/N?”

I turned to look at him. I spoke softly, still feeling a little emotional from before.

“Yeah?”

“You know he cares about you, right?”

I took a deep breath.

“I know, it's just a lot more complicated than that.”

He gave me a sympathetic look. I don't expect anyone to understand the things Shayne and I have been through. Things will be hard to fix between my brother and I. He must've never mentioned me before, I mean no one even knew he had a sister. Let alone siblings.

“I have to go get ready for work. I'll see you tonight.”

I watched Damien walk away, feeling worse than before. I should feel happy to see him again, I mean I came out here looking to find him. Shayne walked in with a smile, I assume it worked out.

“I explained enough to not go into too much detail. You start tomorrow.”

“Thanks.”

“Damien just left, do you want something to eat? We can chat over breakfast?”

I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. I'm not ready to relive it all.