chapter two - restart .

⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱

The infirmary was just how she remembered it. The many nights she had spent helping take care of the injured had required her to memorize the location of every tool, every roll of gauze, and especially every bottle of painkillers. Her eyes roamed the cabinets, each wounded soldier in bed, and she had never felt more at home. Gentle eyes traced the skull-masked man, who was occupying a hospital bed that was almost too small for him. The set up reminded her of a commercial plane, the way that there were two rows of beds opposite each other, one on each wall, and an aisle down the middle.

"Ella! Thank God you're back!" A strong voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Doctor Hurst strode down the aisle formed between the beds towards her, beaming his usual big smile. His familiar pearly smile beamed, his brown hair less messy than usual. That was a start. She had spent many days wondering how a man who saw so much pain and death could stay happy, but as she gained experience in the field she realised it was all one could do. Pick happiness or drown in the cruel reality that this life was unfair to so many. Too many died young and too many died painfully. Life was cruel, especially to soldiers like them.

"I see you haven't changed the place one bit." Mustering a small smile, she greeted the doctor. The furrow in his brows was noticeable as his eyes scanned over her body. She didn't blame him. Just as quickly as she had noticed it, it was gone, instead replaced with the big smile and happy expression he was synonymous with.

"Organisation is the key to success, and what's the point in fixing what's not broken?"

"Stubborn as always." It was good to see a familiar, friendly face.

"Of course. But seriously, I'm glad you're back. I was lost without my dear assistant." Although she never was his assistant officially, instead being a trained combat medic, she might as well as have been one. She had spent many of her free nights helping tend to the wounded and sick, and he had taught her many things that proved to be invaluable in the field. A rare moment of seriousness fell between the two.

"I missed you." Tears prickled at her eyes, but she refused to let them fall in front of someone she respected so much, instead turning her eyes away. She glanced over the familiar form laying in one of the beds, bandages wound tightly around his stomach.

Two gentle hands laid on her shoulders, to which she flinched, pushing herself back against the bed behind her until his hands dropped from her all together. There was no thought, no conscious intent behind the action. It instead felt like a reaction from the most primal part of her brain, one that she had no control over. Her chest heaved as her mind reeled, blood ignited with adrenaline. A look of concern washed over the doctor's aged face. When she looked again, she noticed for the first time that he was not the same. At a closer look, she could see that the telltale signs of exhaustion had settled on his expression, the dark bags under his eyes, the way his shoulders sagged, and his once bright green eyes had dulled from what she remembered. "Sorry, I-"

"Hey, don't be sorry. Let me take a look at you. Is that okay?" His gentle words reassured her, but the memories flashed through her mind nonetheless.

"Is there.. I'm sorry, I don't mean to..." Her sentence trailed, as she wasn't sure how to word her sentence without potentially offending her old friend.

"I'll go get Dr. Harris, don't worry about it. I understand." His hands dropped from her shoulders, returning to his side. "What did they do to you?" His question was quiet, not probing for an answer, but she felt compelled to give him something.

She had no idea what to say. What little words she could muster were caught in her throat, and no matter how she tried, she couldn't push past them. Where would I even begin? Her internal remark was spiteful, bitter that all this time had been stolen from her. She couldn't stop the tears anymore, as her eyes betrayed her and a few slipped past, and dripped down her cheeks.